460 Ford Forum banner

Next step in life...

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  BFT 
#1 ·
First off I am very nervous but excited at the same time. I have accepted a position with Summit Holdings, an Insurance Consulting Firm based out of GA. I will be moving to the Charleston S.C. area after Christmas. It is what I feel is a good deal for me at the moment. I will cover the coastal area between Hilton Head S.C. and Myrtle Beach. Live somewhere in the middle, which I think will be in Summerville. I've found a nice apartment complex that will allow me to have a dog, which is good because I am getting a Chocolate Lab pup in a few weeks.

Really all I have to do is concentrate on graduating now. Still a few details to work out with the job like drug test and background check but I know they will both come back spotless. Anyways, thats the news. I'm very excited. I am going to miss all of my friends here but hopefully I can make a lot of new friends on the beach.. thats really going to suck.. living that close to the beach.. just dont know how I am going to cope with the stress of it all.

#2 ·
I was born in Charleston, grew up in Summerville, and have many friends there. One of them is my longtime friend, Danny, who was crazy enough to put a 460 in his Cobra. He was wise enough to decide to take it out, though. His sister is a real estate agent, but Summerville is not her area.

Let me know if you need some questions answered or some advice about the area. It's changed a bit, but I still have my family back there.

By the way, I spent a lot of time surfing Folly Beach, and picking up cute little tourist girls on the Isle of Palms.

#3 ·
Hey man I am open to any and all advice and thoughts you have. I am looking to move into the Summerville area because I think that will keep me fairly centrally located to where my clients will be. I have found an apartment I like but I still have a little while to secure something. If anyone you know there has some suggestions for living let me know.

Thanks
Brad

#5 ·
I live in Hanahan, which is on the Northern side of Charleston.

There is a lot of car action here, but, the closest drag strip closed down this last spring...

If I can help you in any way, just let me know.

Steve Bales

#7 ·
fordnuts said:

There is a lot of car action here, but, the closest drag strip closed down this last spring...

Steve Bales
I've been looking to move into the Summerville area..there is an apartment complex called Vista Sands. Know anything about it? OR do you know anyone who rents houses / duplex with a garage? I am getting a dog, so a yard for him to play in some and a garage for me would be AWESOME!!!

Couple questions?
How close is the closest track now?
Is this an emissions testing state? If it is I have some work to do on my ride.
Car scene in Charleston is pretty good?

#8 ·
fordnuts said:

Steve Bales
Steve, that's where my dad lives! Clyde Wayne Guy. You guys may at least now some of the same people. He's got a 67 Vette and a 33 Plymouth, but drives around in an El Camino. Lives on Larry Street.

What track are you talking about?

Brad, car scene there is good, I think. Lots of car shows and clubs, and you're going to be right next to a circle track (if you like that kind of racing, too). As for emissions, it probably changed over the years, but the State did do away with inspections because it wasn't very effective. Lots of people (like me) just knew the right guy to get the sticker without going through the inspection.

Not familiar with that apartment complex.

#9 ·
I believe Low Country Dragway in Moncks Corner is about 18 miles from Summerville. Then I think Orangeburg is the next closest, about 50 or 60 miles. Probably the two best tracks are in Darlington and Jackson, both probably about 110 mile miles. Jackson is where Tim Lynch holds the current ORSCA 10.5 Outlaw ET and MPH record.

#11 ·
Yes, we lost the 1/8th mile strip called Lowcountry Drag Strip...It closed this lasty spring. Also, the circle track that was just outside of Summerville has closed down.....Both tracks fell to housing developments around them.....

I am not familier with the apartment complex that you spoke of, but, I don't spend much time around Summerville,

I will keep my eyes open for a house, but, housing rentals are pretty expensive as compaired to apartments...

Steve

#12 ·
Hey MGUY: I think that I know who your Dad is. The Mustang club that I am in puts on 6 Shows each summer at Hooter;s, and I think he has shown his car at opur shows.

Also, You spoke of Danny that built the 460 powered Cobra....I know him well..I live 3 houses away from where his Mother lived. That is where he built the Cobra, till he moved to Columbia....I gave him the valve covers that he has on the 460 ....Small World..

Steve

#13 ·
fordnuts said:
I am not familier with the apartment complex that you spoke of, but, I don't spend much time around Summerville,

I will keep my eyes open for a house, but, housing rentals are pretty expensive as compaired to apartments...

Steve
If you hear of anything let me know. SMALL house would be fine, and im just starting out so I dont need a Taj Mahal.

#16 ·
ky mustang said:
Brad , not trying to change your mind , but did you you see the job add at Arkema for a safety coordinator recently ? Good luck Buddy
I did not, and I thank you for the suggestion but I want to get away for a while. Get away from this place, see whats out there. If it doesn't work, I can always come home.

Casey, I've looked at a few different apartment / home listing sites. Found a few I like. Charles Chappell gave me a number of a friend of his who lives there. I am going to call her and see if she knows anything about the area I am looking to move into.

Heres are a few I found that I like.

http://apartmentfinder.com/details.aspx?refer=af&mid=1440&aptid=204620

I REALLY like this one. http://apartmentfinder.com/details.aspx?refer=af&mid=1440&aptid=104560

http://apartmentfinder.com/details.aspx?refer=af&mid=1440&aptid=201993 I like this one as well and I have the option to "rent" a garage for extra money later. All three places are within about 10-15 minutes of each other I think. If any of you Charleston area guys know anything about these places let me know. I am going to call these places today and try and get some information.

Thanks
Brad

#17 ·
fordnuts said:
Hey MGUY: I think that I know who your Dad is. The Mustang club that I am in puts on 6 Shows each summer at Hooter;s, and I think he has shown his car at opur shows.

Also, You spoke of Danny that built the 460 powered Cobra....I know him well..I live 3 houses away from where his Mother lived. That is where he built the Cobra, till he moved to Columbia....I gave him the valve covers that he has on the 460 ....Small World..

Steve
Well, if the old man looks like a more frazzled version of David Crosby, that's him.

That's crazy that you know Danny. I've got to call him soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.