User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

'78 F-150 with '96 injected 460?

Hello all,

I've been using this forum for a while to pick all of your brains anonymously but I think it's finally time to get more involved! I have a '78 F150 that I had already swapped an '83 460 into... Which I promptly seized after leaving it at rpm for a while in a mudpit. I've acquired a '96 fuelie 460 but it's missing the ecm and the wiring looks like it was yanked out by a gorilla. My question to all of you intelligent folks is: is it worth it to make fuel injection work? (Either with a stock ecm or a mega squirt) or should I pull the heads/intake and go back to a carburated set up? I've got about 2k to make this work. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Thorp View Post
Hello all,

I've been using this forum for a while to pick all of your brains anonymously but I think it's finally time to get more involved! I have a '78 F150 that I had already swapped an '83 460 into... Which I promptly seized after leaving it at rpm for a while in a mudpit. I've acquired a '96 fuelie 460 but it's missing the ecm and the wiring looks like it was yanked out by a gorilla. My question to all of you intelligent folks is: is it worth it to make fuel injection work? (Either with a stock ecm or a mega squirt) or should I pull the heads/intake and go back to a carburated set up? I've got about 2k to make this work. Thanks!
cheapest and easiest method may be to put the heads and intake off the 83 on to the fuelie short block. The timing chain is straight up, pistons are likely 22cc dish. Throw a mild cam in it and go play?

the stock efi's run ok, but without tuning and or MAF you cant make any power. Not sure what your intended purpose is? trail running efi's benefit will be worth it in off camber situations.

no more toys
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the input!

It will be on trails at times but it will likely be a daily driver for the most part. I would like to put an auto start on it eventually and I imagine that is alot more simple with an ecm. If I do use older heads to go carburated, either the 83 (or earlier if I can find a set), will I have any valve /piston clearance issues? Any idea how that will affect the compression?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I cannot speak for the remote start etc, but i do know the eec 460 tuning ability is very limited. And since you are missing most of the key components to make it run, it would be much easier to go with one of the aftermarket TBI efi setups. Im not sure if any of them have the remote start feature but i wouldnt be surprised.

The pistons should be fine, I'm assuming they will be the 20 something c dish pistons they used from 73-87 and 93 something to 97. I think there was a brief period on the early efi engines from 88-92 that had flat tops or close to flat tops.

Compression will stay the same or close to the same, both 83 and 96 heads have essentially the same 97??cc combustion chamber size. Should put you around 8:1 compression.

no more toys
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Great thanks for sharing your knowledge!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Do some research and use early D0VE, D3VE or the fuelie heads to get the compression where you want it, a good dual plane intake and one of the self learning fuel injection kits to feed it and a custom ground cam if it's in the budget. That would be my plan if it were my project. Also, if you ask your questions in the engine tech section you'll have better luck getting answers.Welcome to the forum.

80 Fairmont wagon, 528, Blue Thunder heads on E-85. Just a brutal street car

Last edited by Mike R; 03-06-2019 at 08:04 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Ok will do thanks Mike! Was thinking the fuel injection would be handy if I ever wanted to try my hand installing a turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in