460 Ford Forum banner

I finally made it back....!

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Lem Evans 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, my son and I left for the track on Friday, did nothing but create a good test bed for 2-1/2 days... I made 15 passes total, 4 passes on Friday night, my last being almost midnight... 4 passes Saturday, including 1 half pass with my son, which he thoroughly enjoyed I might add... And 7 passes today... Friday night was awesome, as it was the 1st time I ever ran at night... It was a cool 55* and the track was bitin'... Here are all but 1 of the videos, which we must have missed getting somewhere... All I know is I have 15 time slips and 14 videos... Oh well, it was a long weekend, what can I say...? As always, your opinions are welcomed and greatly appreciated... Enjoy... I won't waste alot of space reciteing the times, as my son did a superb job getting them all on film... ENJOY...
This is my 1st pass off the trailer... It's against an Indy headed BB powered Dodge Coronet... He wouldn't tell me the CI, but apparently, it wasn't enough...:cool:

This one, I forgot to turn on my delay box because they kept changing the tree from Pro to Full, so I tried going off the bottom bulb... Well, you see what happens when you get spoiled by the D-box...

By playing the last 2 videos in slow motion in the pits, we noticed the rearend bouncing a little, so I tightened my rear coils 3 turns... I know now I need some double adjustable rear shocks... Note the ET change...

This is the start of Saturday's runs... It was smokin' hot Saturday; Density Altitude was 8700'... This is against my buddy Randy Shaw and his FE powered Lenco backed Mustang II... He has been battling his clutch all season... It's clearly faster than this video shows...

This is one of my favorites from the weekend... Talk in the pits from the youngsters, was how "bad" this Camaro is, you know, with the turbo and all... The driver told me I beat him by 1-1/2 - 2 cars...

This was my final pass on Saturday... And probably my #1 pick of the whole trip... It's the 1/2 pass with my son... Randy's wife didn't get the time, but they limit you to 9.00 with a passenger... I went not quite to 1/2 track in low gear, shut it down, and hammered the brakes to a nice 8.70 @ 42mph... Skyler (my son) said, "Wow...! It's alot faster in the truck than it looks from outside... The smile on his face was priceless... Kinda reminded me of the Joker from Batman...:D

More Videos below...

Doug...:cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
This is the start of Sunday's runs... It wasn't quite as hot and the conditions were a bit better with a D/A of around 7200'... In this video, you'll hear the RPM go up about 150' & then me get out of it breifly... They blew the engine late Saturday in a Funny Car and obviously missed some oil... Trust me, not the kind of ride I was lookin' for right off the bat...:eek::D Still a descent time considering... Also, today I bumped my shift point from 7000 to 7200... It seems to like it...

This one I ran against an S-10 with a super-duper sbc... You'll "hear how bad I beat him after I shut down...

Well, call me stupid... But this is what happens when you rely on the water box boys to line you up in the water... Note the uneven surface under my right rear tire... Now I line myself up in the box...:mad:

Just another test run... Nothing really changed on the set-up this time, just checkin' consistency... If you haven't noticed, this thig really likes to run in the 6.76 range at 103.xxx mph... I noticed when I dropped my air pressure I lost mph, but my 60's got better... Still trying to decide if I want the few hundreths on my 60' or the few extra mph on the big end... Geez, everything's a trade off...:rolleyes:

A couple more vids below...:D

#4 ·
Well, I figured since it was running very consistent, I would try something different to see how it responded... And it did...:D

These last 3 vids, I did a hot-lap series, just to make sure I have all of my bases covered... I found it really runs consistent if I come out of the burnout at about 170*... The 1st video, I ran it at 180*... My 60' dropped .01 as did my ET but mph stayed real close...

This pass, I ran it at 190*... My 60' dropped another.02, as did my ET, but again, mph stayed right in there...

This pass, I ran it at 200*... My 60' dropped yet another .01, but mph went up 1 mph...

All in all, a pretty good weekend, and VERY educational... I put the 521 through it's paces this weekend and not even a hint of trouble... I know there's more in it, but I'll wait on these questions until I get a few responses from you guys... I hope you enjoyed the show, and LMK what you guys think...

Thanks,

#6 ·
Trucks running great, good job!

#10 · (Edited)
Doug.....Looks like you guys had a blast with a cool truck. BTW, I think I found your missing video........Wasn't the photographer was in the truck for one pass?:D
Why yes he was... But that run was on video... We somehow missed one from Friday night I believe... I was looking at the dates on the slips, and it say 7/17/09 on it... It's OK though, it's the one where I went red in the Gambler Bracket... But, I'll deny that last statement, 'cause there's no proof...:D:D

Awesome job Doug!! Truck looks great and is working really good. I bet you surprised a few cars with that big ole F150!!

Truck launches nice and straight, seems to leave flat, just gets goin!!

Bill
It does seem kinda flat on take-off Bill... I tried everything this weekend... I played with the 2-step from 3000-5000 to leaving it off and my 60's don't vary but a couple hundreths, so I just leave it set at 4500 as it seems to be more consistent there... It has 4.56's in it now, and I thought about adding more gear, but it "seems" to have a spinning issue sometimes as well... So I'm not sure which way to go... I also have room to advance my cam a little, that should help the low end too... I think I can go about 4* from where it's at...

Thanks for the compliments guys...

#9 ·
Awesome job Doug!! Truck looks great and is working really good. I bet you surprised a few cars with that big ole F150!!

Truck launches nice and straight, seems to leave flat, just gets goin!!

Bill

#12 ·
Thanks Nick, yes he did all the vids from the weekend... Well, except for his 1/2 pass... I'll let him know ya need a camera guy...:D

#15 ·
Doug you still coming up to the Hat for the National Open July 31,Aug 1-2 ?
Frank
Not sure yet Frank... Money ya know...;) Besides, I'd have to leave 3 days early so I could get through the border...:D:D

Doug thanks for all the updates! Truck looks great also...

are you going to use the camcorder inside the truck this year??
Thanks D'... Long time no see... I have to re-do the mount inside the truck, 'cause when I put the lexan in the back window, the camera hits it because it sits in deeper than the glass did with the gasket... Eventually I'll get some more interior shots...:)

#17 ·
Thanks

The truck looks great. Jeff told me "oh that thing is nasty..nasty truck". Thank you very much for the help. He was very pleased with the cars. Won some money too. Good for all . I will come over soon. The falcon should/can flat spank both those cars. Tres...

#18 ·
Cool deal Tres... We'll have to do a couple passes together just for the forum... Heck, maybe we can even swap rigs for a pass...:D:cool:

#19 ·
Doug great to see you and your son a having a that kind of week end, he won't for get it. When is he going to take over the driving duty's, I'm sure he is liter and quicker than the Old Man!

#20 ·
Hey Ben, Skyler gets his license at the end of August... Then I'm gonna tune the truck down a couple notches and turn him loose... I think he'll do pretty good... Now, on the subject of lighter and quicker... Maybe the former, but definitely not the latter...:D:D

#22 ·
Not mine...:D:D If he takes the helm, I'll do all the hard stuff and he can drive it... Then, he'll be kickin' everyone elses butts...:cool::cool:

#25 · (Edited)
He'll be 16 Aug. 11... I hope I can get him to drive it... He seemed to enjoy the half pass I took him on last weekend, so I guess we'll see...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.