460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Measurement graduation, what are you guys going with? My particular question regards dial bore gauges, for the measurement of main bearing bores, cyl. bores, etc...

If your bore gauge is in a 0.0005" graduation, should your mic. be in the same graduation for most accurate readings?

Thanks,

Derek.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi,
Better micrometers have .0001" graduations.Something like mitutoyo or starrett.

That's what I would use.

Dial bore gauges can be .0001" graduation also.

Hope this helps.

One thing is to make sure everything is the same temperature when you go to check it

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link!

Why is everything either 2-3" or 3-4"?

Something with a range of 2-4" or 2.5-3.5" would be nice, because with 3" main bearing journals, your either maxed out with a 2-3" or barely small enough with a 3-4" mic.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
For engine building you should use mic's and bore gages that read in .0001". Watch Ebay, you can find better deals on new or used ones there.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Thanks for the link!

Why is everything either 2-3" or 3-4"?

Something with a range of 2-4" or 2.5-3.5" would be nice, because with 3" main bearing journals, your either maxed out with a 2-3" or barely small enough with a 3-4" mic.
Well, the spindle is the same on each size. The frame is bigger for each graduation. Ease for the manufacturer and cheaper for us. I have a set for 1-3 and an individual one, 4 to 5 mic, for pistons. I don't mess with digital ones though. Too expensive for me.
By the way, I bought the 4-5 mic from ENCO. The thing got here FAST! Only thing I have bought from them though. Still, I wouldn't be afraid to order again.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, the spindle is the same on each size. The frame is bigger for each graduation. Ease for the manufacturer and cheaper for us. I have a set for 1-3 and an individual one, 4 to 5 mic, for pistons. I don't mess with digital ones though. Too expensive for me.
By the way, I bought the 4-5 mic from ENCO. The thing got here FAST! Only thing I have bought from them though. Still, I wouldn't be afraid to order again.
Alright, I guess I will have to go with a 2-3" mic. for my 3" mains. Hopefully it fits!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Alright, I guess I will have to go with a 2-3" mic. for my 3" mains. Hopefully it fits!

Thanks.
The one you linked to is a good one. Ratchet is a good feature to have. Don't worry about it not fitting. The readable adjustment range is 0 to 3 but it will open farther than that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts