460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has an 06 Mustang GT convertible and two months ago it went into limp mode. After two weeks in the shop they deduced it was the computer. Well today it did the same thing again and guess what? Everything is closed till after xmas. Nice, so my wife is carless and we have relatives in for the holidays. Makes me a proud Ford owner! :oops: :roll:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Man can't the dealership pull code and figure out what's going on from there. I know Imports and the only time that they go in limp mode is when the throttle body fails to work right because of the drive by wire.

Ace

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They really impressed me with their skills last time when their first answer was "it is the std transmission"..... :shock:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
fordsbyjay said:
They really impressed me with their skills last time when their first answer was "it is the std transmission"..... :shock:
:lol: now thats funny :lol: id definitely go find another shop. it could easily be a throttlebody issue too, but since it came and went and came back again id be more inclined to think electrical issue- like a bad mass air sensor or a leak between the sensor and the engine. got some carb cleaner? do a vacuum leak test ;)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We did the "unhook the battery for 5 minutes" solution and that fixed the problem for now. Last time Ford had it for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
powerstrokeace said:
Man can't the dealership pull code and figure out what's going on from there. I know Imports and the only time that they go in limp mode is when the throttle body fails to work right because of the drive by wire.

Ace
It is not that easy. You have to have some kind of intelligence as to know which button to push and then they would need some kind of reading comprehension skills and some ability to decipher the information the computer gives them.

As far as the 06 mustang goes. A guy at work had the same problem of it going into limp mode. What was causing it was a bad temp sensor. It was telling the PCM the engine was getting too hot and then it went into limp mode.

How did I find it?....... I took my laptop VCM and took the car for a drive and monitored the sensors and found the bad sensor. Printed out my verified findings after reading freeze frame data. Gave it to the guy with a note to the service manager that informed him why the dealer could no longer afford to have me! :mrgreen: I am not saying that you are having the same root cause. There are a few things that could cause the limp mode. It takes some diagnostic skills not just using the "dial a prayer" ford BS hotline.

I am not saying I am the "best". I just know how to read a service manual.

Damn I am such a nice guy :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well we will have to see how long it lasts this time. I have read every reason under the sun through Google but the most common seems to be the throttle body. I haven't worked on anything past EEC IV but I feel confident that I could trouble shoot it better than they did. But hell, that is why I drive a new car so I don't have to fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts