460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
torino501 said:
if its anything like the spark plug fiasco in the 2v 3v motors......i cant wait.....
You know, I bet ya if they could have put in a few more spark plugs the engine might have been able to get out of it's own way. Maybe even make it up a hill in OD!

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I think they pushed the diesel off to 2010. I think it's the greatest idea in the world, and can't understand why in the world they've waited this long. Nice 5.0L or so straight six with 275hp and 500+lb of torque, what a nice package for the big half tons they make nowadays.

I had an '04 5.4L 3v 2wd, it was pretty nice and had plenty of midrange, but it lacked for pure lowend (although a TON better then the old 5.8L). I averaged 16.5mpg in combined driving, it would be nice to average 20mpg combined and be able to pull 23-24 on the highway.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Dodge has a 5.0L one set for 2010, if they are still around. lol

·
Registered
967 Posts
it may take them 3yrs to get it right though.4.0 sohc chain guides, 4.6l 5.4l cam phasers.ford could if they wanted to could build some serious dependable engines if they wanted to.they would cost to much money.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I think it's a great idea. I mean, they don't offer a gas engine with torque anymore, so a small diesel would be a great idea. With Fords trend of crazy prices of new bare bones trucks though, especially diesels, I don't know that it would sell as well as the 250 and 350 trucks with diesels. The price difference may not be that much.

I do think it's a good idea though. I've also read about guys doing 4BT and 6 BT swaps into older trucks. People are supposedly getting excellent MPG and decent towing performance with these small diesels in lighter duty trucks. So, maybe Ford is on to something if they can make it reliable.

·
Registered
391 Posts
that sounds great and all, but man, i cant see knocking the 4.6s and 5.4s, they do lack in the power depo if you ask me, but i have em coming to the shop all the time with 190k, 210, 160k, and even a few with 250k+ mileage!!! thats something the 5.0s and 5.8s didnt have much luck achieving... i just did the topend on a 160k 4.6 in a truck (horrible exuast leak melted burned 2 valves) and the cylinder walls still had the cross marks in them and zero. i mean zero ridge on the walls... sometimes i think that maybe ford made the odometer run faster to make the trucks appear to have more miles!!LOL

·
Registered
823 Posts
The mod motors do seem to go a lot of miles without any major mechanical failures. The most common things I hear from those that own them are electronics and sensor problems, can't fault the engine design for that though. For the most part they'll go many miles but every high mile 4.6 I've seen smokes like mad, probably bad valve seals. That'll happen eventually to any high mile motor though.

Just for comparison the 351W in my truck ('86) has almost 190,000 miles on it and still runs like a top.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yep those mod motors are pretty long lived motors that will give excellent service over the years. A neighbor had an old 300 six in a 84 150 that had over 400,000 miles on it. The truck itself was shot but the motor was still running strong. But hey its a Ford so you dont have to worry. Will run forever.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Bad news Lew,

F-150 diesel in 09 has been put on hold! They didn't cancel it, just put it on hold :( :(

The words used are as stated..."postponing plans to offer a diesel version of the F-150"

·
Registered
685 Posts
D's557BBF said:
Bad news Lew,

F-150 diesel in 09 has been put on hold! They didn't cancel it, just put it on hold :( :(

The words used are as stated..."postponing plans to offer a diesel version of the F-150"
Yep. Now I have a bunch of little diesels setting around, back to the Big Diesel... :wink:

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Yeah I hear they want to sort out the ones they already have before tackling a new one. Hope that T kit fixes these radiator problems, its getting out of hand. Yall might not want to use as much plastic either, and fire the guy that came up with the cab bolt idea on the 08's, his *** needs a beatin'.

Thanks for the 6.0 guys, in this poor economy I'm having a record year, I'm already backed up until Thanksgiving............ :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts