460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys!

I just got my motor running and I was wondering it you had a good starting point in mind for Jets in my 1050 Dominator 8896.

My combo is 557 Ci. with a Comp Cam .681 total lift, 11.1 compression, Victor Intake, Edlebrock Heads. Horsepower??? Not too sure, this is my first BBF always messed around with EFI Small Block Fords so the carb is a little different from my programmer.

I know it is a difficult question to pick the exact jet size and I don't expect that. Just maybe a good starting point with your experience.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Phone Patrick at Pro Systems, tell him what you got, he will build you a custom carb for your application, bolt it on and forget about it

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hello Guys!

I just got my motor running and I was wondering it you had a good starting point in mind for Jets in my 1050 Dominator 8896.

My combo is 557 Ci. with a Comp Cam .681 total lift, 11.1 compression, Victor Intake, Edlebrock Heads. Horsepower??? Not too sure, this is my first BBF always messed around with EFI Small Block Fords so the carb is a little different from my programmer.

I know it is a difficult question to pick the exact jet size and I don't expect that. Just maybe a good starting point with your experience.

Thanks for the help!
Stock jetting is 88's front/back............start there.

·
8,523 Posts
The jets that a carb came with are a good starting point. Jet up or down and let the ET slip rule.
I'm sure that buying 4 or 5 sets of jets will be cheaper than a new carb.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The jets that a carb came with are a good starting point. Jet up or down and let the ET slip rule.
I'm sure that buying 4 or 5 sets of jets will be cheaper than a new carb.
Thanks Lem. Not sure where buying a new carb came from with the other posts, but as always your help is appreciated!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thanks Lem. Not sure where buying a new carb came from with the other posts, but as always your help is appreciated!
Mr. Christ, just want to make sure you understand that my rolling eyes were for Al Qaeda for suggesting that you buy a new carb. I thought is was quite and advertisement for Robert. Even he would have thought it was moronic.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr. Christ, just want to make sure you understand that my rolling eyes were for Al Qaeda for suggesting that you buy a new carb. I thought is was quite and advertisement for Robert. Even he would have thought it was moronic.
I understand, I thought it was crazy too when my carb is perfect for the car. I haven't even run it yet I just wanted to get some advice since my experience is with electronics. Have a good one!

·
Registered
93 Posts
My setup is similar to yours and I also have an 8896. I drive my car on the street and the 8896 is not so friendly but at the track it works. I ran it out the box and it was fine and then did what was mentioned earlier and just started watching my time-slips as I jetted up a bit.

So to make a long story short, I got tired of the guessing games and sent it to Pro Systems the other day and I'm waiting to get it back sometime next week.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My setup is similar to yours and I also have an 8896. I drive my car on the street and the 8896 is not so friendly but at the track it works. I ran it out the box and it was fine and then did what was mentioned earlier and just started watching my time-slips as I jetted up a bit.

So to make a long story short, I got tired of the guessing games and sent it to Pro Systems the other day and I'm waiting to get it back sometime next week.

Good luck to you.
I drove the car prior to the 557 and it was about 45 less ci but higher compression and the street manners were pretty good. I just need the fine tuning done for the extra HP and anything else that has changed.

I guess I am confused how you can send your carb to someone and they tune it and send it back. Maybe that comes from my background with EFI blower cars but it is impossible to tune a car without doing it on the actual car. Every car is different and I am sure they are great at tuning but your car is going to be different than my car with a similar setup.

Either way let me know how it turns out. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I drove the car prior to the 557 and it was about 45 less ci but higher compression and the street manners were pretty good. I just need the fine tuning done for the extra HP and anything else that has changed.

I guess I am confused how you can send your carb to someone and they tune it and send it back. Maybe that comes from my background with EFI blower cars but it is impossible to tune a car without doing it on the actual car. Every car is different and I am sure they are great at tuning but your car is going to be different than my car with a similar setup.

my thoughts also , tuned on the car . How can they tune a carb ? simple just have to get it close so it runs good , owners never going to mess with it . he will never know . simple huh

·
Registered
93 Posts

Ok, will do. I've heard so many good things about Pro Systems I thought I would give them a try.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I took mine apart and blocked off the fuel passages to the intermediate circuit and found the 88s work great, street and track. Before I did that it was very rich at part throttle, Randy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, I got my carb back from Pro Systems and all I can say is wow! No more fouled plugs, runs smoothly through the gears. All I did was adjust the fuel bowl level in the rear. That's it. I will make it to the track in a few weeks and will advise my results there as well. I should have sent it to them a long time ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts