·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Re: Pretty easy really

FoMoCo said:
Crites http://www.critesrestoration.com/galaxie.htm has the mounts/headers for it. I used them for a 460 in my 68 but they do have their problems. Mounts put motor high and forward to far for my liking. As far as I know maniflods can not be used with them and their headers while decent hang to low with soft springs. Here is a link to an fe mount mod that many use with good luck.
http://www.galaxieclub.com/articles/FEto429-460conv/FEtoLIMAconv.html
What year Galaxie is that engine mount mod for?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Check Car Domain

Bill, I am also doing the swap into my 66 Galaxie. The modification that most do already have the FE series frame and engine mounts. The frame mount holes need to be slightly elongated because the 460 is slightly wider and the motor mount needs to be rotated slightly by opening up one of the holes on the mount. I found step by step pictures of this being done in a 67 galaxie on a site named car domain. The guy has a black 67 with 429 and he used the crites headers. I have also spoken with many people that have performed this same mod on the 65 and 66 with crites headers with no conflict.

Good luck

Terry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its some good info

I wish i could see a little better in the pics where the engine sits in relation to the cowl, it looks about where the original motor was but I might be wrong. Are the mounts turned sideways? The headers seem to fit fine.

My car has new 70's Torino 460 with AC springs from Moog all around, so I don't think the headers will hit.

Does anyone have some more pictures? I would also like to maybe see a level on a valve cover to see what I need to shoot for. Any help is appreciated. [/list][/quote]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tell me exactly what you want pics of and Ill go out to the car on Sat or Sun. I swapped the 460/C6 into my 65 with the Crites kit. I did cut (butcher) the motor mounts so it sits about 1/2" lower. The oil pan is only about 1/4" off the crossmember. This really doesnt show you what you want but heres the link to my car:
http://www.usgear.com/v2od_galaxie.htm

I have over 20,000 miles on it and its fine. I did install new front springs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Chuck!

What I most want to see is where the back of the motor sits in relationship to the firewall, or how far forward it sits compared to where the 352 is. (mine is still in the car) I would also like to see how nose high the motor sits. I have heard that the Crites kit sits it high and forward, but yours doesn't appear to sit that way. Did you have to use an uncommon fan, water pump or pulleys?

Lastly, how low do your headers hang? I have a set of heavy springs already, so I am hoping it will sit well enough. I also have a set of FE Crites headers I might try to swap out or maybe even put 385 flanges on if they are close.

Thank you, and BTW your car looks really tough in that picture!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Awesome Galaxie......

Chuck, I agree with Bill, you have a sweet car there. I have a 66, but when I put a 460 in mine, I used a ghetto/******* technique that I wouldn't recommend to any civilians.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok, I took some pics and since I suck at posting pics on websites but I know how to email them, I will send them to Bill and he can either post them here or I can email them to anybody that wants them.
A couple of thins to remember.
1. My car is a daily driver so I dont detail the engine compartment so its a little ratty compared to most of yours Im sure.

2. The picture of the car on the US Gear website makes it look like it has a "nose up" atittude, it doesnt, thats just the way my driveway is. The reason I mention this is just in case anyone might wonder if it adds to the clearance on the headers. The cae actually has a 3 degree nose down rake.

I put a magnetic angle finder (protractor) on the valve cover and the engine has a 2 1/2 to 3 degree tilt to the rear. I took a shot of the TALL valve covers clearance to the brake booster to show its close but you can remove them without a problem.

Using a tape measure the distance from the back of the block to the fire wall is 7 1/4 inches BUT that is deceiving, you will notice in the pics that the ribs on the top of the trans are ground down, per the instructions in the Crites kit. As the tunnel tapers from the fire wall back, even though youll swear theres more than enough room, believe me you MUST grind down the ribs on the case. I didnt do it and we never got the engine in untill we did. I did this swap at my buddies service station so we had every type of engine hoist/tilt device at our disposal.

While you cant read the tape measure, I have 4 1/2 inches of header clearance. I am running 235/70 15s on the front, which are 27.4 inches in dia and in over 20,000 mile have NEVER bottomed out. I do have new front springs for a 352 but I am running aluminum heads and intake so if you run cast iron it may be different. I drive to the Woodward Dream Cruise every year and Detroit has some of the nastest roads I have ever driven on and still no bottoming out. The exception to what I just stated was I put on 225/60 15 which are something like 25 inches in dia and they bottomed out at Woodward last year so bad that I bought new tires while I was there!

If I missed anything, which I think I may have; just ask, Ill be more than happy to reply.

·
Registered
53 Posts
the fe motor mount mod works well in trucks i know of but that's not why i'm posting. the reason is the fe motor mounts are a sandwich mount steel rubber steel that i know has a tendency to pull apart under heavy torque. what i came up with to rectify this problen is to grind the stud on it down smooth center punch it where the stud was and drill a new hole all the way through place a grade 8 bolt through the mount and tack weld the head it will no longer be able to pull apart this way as you are pulling the whole thing together. put a little blue locktite on the mounting nut when installing the engine this way because as the engine twists one side will be basically solid and the other will be compressing and putting slack on your bolt.

·
Registered
266 Posts
460 Ford in a Galaxie

I have a 429 in my 67 Galaxie and I can tell you the way to do it from all bolt in factory parts.
The car started off as a 390 car then got a 302 slapped in. I was given the car and I saw the 2 door as a great stripped down drag car..
It's a 69 Merc 429. Lakewood bellhousing and a wide ratio toploader from a 66 Fairlane. I had a 69 T-bird Parts car. I pulled the motor and radiator mounts from 69 to do the conversion. The 69 T-bird motor perches (and any 429-460 big Ford up to like 77-78) will fit in place of the original 289 or 390 units; with one addition.
Bolt the T-bird, merc Lincoln perches in place of the originals. Keep the original left/right side configuration. Line the lower bolt holes up and attach. Drill NEW upper bolt holes in the cross member to match the holes in the perch. I used grade 8 bolts that I welded 1.5 inch long tabs too to lock the bolts in and keep them from spinning while I ran the lock nuts down from the motor perch side.. Use factory T-bird, Merc etc motor mounts. That will position the engine in the right place. Use a pass car oil pan, it will fit fine about an inch off the crossmember just like the original 390 did. If using a C6 trans, then take the original 65, 66 etc trans unit and rotate it around 180 degrees. If you look closely, you will see a jog or offset in the trans member. This accommodates for a big block or small block trans. The jog goes forward for a C4/FMX or 4 speed; backward for a C6. There are holes in the right places to remount the E-brake linkage.
Exhaust, I used a set of mid 80's Truck 460 manifolds. They are nice and heavy, finned and they have a flange for a 2 1/2 pipe. They don't seem to have cracking problems like the earlier 60's-70's units. At least not as far as I can see…
Now Hooker makes 460 header for full size Ford. They fit 65 up Galaxies. Perfect.. With clearance… They are expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Radiator: This is an option. Up to 68, Galaxie's used a top flow radiator, like Mustangs. Then they went to a side flow and changed the mounts. The original big block 65-68 radiator will work fine to cool a 460, (usual assumptions apply, clean cores, no leaks) I used the 69 T-bird radiator as well. I took the lower rad, mounts and put them on the 67 rad. support by swapping them left for right side. The holes ARE ALREADY in the support. The uppers take a little modifying, to extend them a little but it's minor.
The later radiators are bigger and easier to come by. The 65-68 units are darn near obsolete. I trimmed the sides of the radiator support to make more room and reduce weight.
Like I said it's an option with the radiator. But the rest of the parts are all factory stuff, you just have to know what fits.
Side note on what fits.. 68-69 T-birds mostly came with the bigger 9 3/8 diffs. Did you know that the housings are the SAME for 65-68 Galaxies? The axles are 31 spline, and the bird gives the bigger 3 in brakes. Pull the entire housing, install in Gal, pull 9 3/8 big diff, reinstall favorite 9 inch unit.

This was a bit long of a post but you don't have to use expensive crites stuff.
I put this drag car together on pennies comparatively.
I have pics if any are interested..
Thanks!
Dane V
SLC, UT

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm pretty new at this 460 stuff. A year ago I bought a '78 F150 with the stock 460/C6 and towing package. I've done all the maintnence work to it and replaced a few small parts and all, but I haven't had time or money to do lots of crazy work to it yet. I have a spare 460 motor now out of a '74 F250 which I'd like to thoroughly 'stroke,' or bore out, or however you say it, lol.

Last week I found a 4-door '67 Galaxie Custom for $500. It's been sittin' for about two years, but the inline 6 ran when it was parked and I immediately began to imagine puttin' my spare 460 into this little daimond in the ruff. I know I'd need to swap out the oilpan and pickup for the oil pump at least, but would I be able to put it in without having to mess with the hump? I heard someone here say it could be done if you messed with the mounts a bit.

If I was to do this it would be a few years from now because I'm in highschool right now, about to ship off for basic this summer, too. Should I buy the car now or are there plenty of those old 4-door Galaxies in fairly nice condition just layin' around for $500?

Thanks,
Eli

·
Registered
266 Posts
460 in a early Galaxie

Chuck WOlf: Here are Part # for the 3 sizes of headers from Hooker.
They are Super Comps.
HOK6126HKR 1 3/4 Pri. 3" Coll.
HOK6115 HKR 1 7/8 Pri 3 1/2 Coll
HOK6224HKR 2 Pri 3 1/2 Coll.
MSRP is $429.

Now for the 4 door Galaxie with a six.
It all depends on how good the car looks...
To do a 6 cyl to a BIG V8, you will be doing the same coversion as I described in an earlier post, In addition too:

Front Springs, the 6 cyl units are too light. you'll need the big block v8 units.
Bigger radiator. The lower outlet is on the wrong side for a v8
Rear axle. In 67 Ford started using a dana style C-clip axle on there 6 and small block v8 cars. You will absolutely need a 9 inch with 31 spline.
Trans crossmember. I am pretty sure the 6 cyl unit is different from a v8 as well.
I have a complete 67 4 door parts car. came with a 390 so it'll have everything you need.

$500 Galaxie's are around. I have several.
If the body on yours isn't rusty and the interior is OK
And you have the money and someplace to store it.. Go fo it...
To see a picture of my 67 as well as a few of the rest of my Fords go to:
www.fordautowrecking.com

Here in SLC, UT we are working toward making it a comprehensive ALL FORD salvage yard. Just got the webite up a few days ago. Still putting pics in, but I should have a few in tonight.

Good Luck!
Dane V

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the advice!

New transmission crossmember, springs, and a 9inch rearend...

I can get ahold of the spare 3.55 axle for my F150, I have the C6 tranny that came out of my parts truck (probably needs new torque converter). Will any of those help?

And I like the idea of a comprehensive Ford parts yard, just wish it'd be a bit close to Nashville!

-Eli

·
Registered
20 Posts
Headers for Galaxies

Danev2,

Thank you for posting the hooker part numbers for those headers.

However, when I looked them up on Summit's web site it said that the application for all three sets was the Gran Torino.

Do you know if any of these sets will fit the 1969 Galaxie and clear not only the frame and transmission crossmember, but the A/C evaporator as well.

I've been waiting quite some time for a manufacturer to produce a header for the full sized Ford with a big block engine, and would really, really, like it to fit out of the box without having to cut and weld; especially if they have the ceramic coating.

Thanks again,

Jim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.