460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help!!! I need pics of 66 67 Crites headers for Fairlane with 429/460 swap. Specifically I need pics of the driver side rear two tubes. Mine don't clear but I think I have the wrong tubes as I bought these "new" used from a fellow. PLEASE POST PICS. As you can see my 3rd tube hits shock tower and can't steer as the tube is right next to the steering arm and the 4 tube is hitting the steering box.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! See how your two rear tubes driver side are different than mine. Bet thats why I'm having issues? Did you have to ding your at all?
Dan

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I had one of the first sets of Crites headers for a 460 swap. I put them on...sorta. I had to crush the tube halfway shut to clear the steering box.
I had to remake the next tube forward because it would turn all the way to the right, but only halfway to the left because the tube was interfering with the pitman arm.

To me, Crites headers are junk!!

I ended up remaking several tubes....the one next to the steering box had to go up and over the box, then down between the firewall and the bellhousing (major PITA), and the one that was close to the pitman arm had to be made to hug the block a lot closer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks! See how your two rear tubes driver side are different than mine. Bet thats why I'm having issues? Did you have to ding your at all?
Dan
What I did was ding the headers up to where they fit and then I sent it back to maddog for him to rebend those tubes, 3 out of the 8 tubes had to be redone and I had to send them back 2 times for him to fix. They fit good now with no bashing of the tubes to fit but the whole process was a pain. Also take note which slip on collector goes with which side and how it is oriented as far as top and bottom or you will never get them to work right.
Good luck
Dave
:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I did was ding the headers up to where they fit and then I sent it back to maddog for him to rebend those tubes, 3 out of the 8 tubes had to be redone and I had to send them back 2 times for him to fix. They fit good now with no bashing of the tubes to fit but the whole process was a pain. Also take note which slip on collector goes with which side and how it is oriented as far as top and bottom or you will never get them to work right.
Good luck
Dave
Your two rear driver side tubes look like what I need!!!! See how mine are just straight?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes I have that worked out but the problem is while they are installed, they are hitting the shock tower, pitman arm, and steering box.

Jessica at Crites has been of NO HELP and says they will sell me two new tubes for $65 each. Or in 4-6 weeks she can send me a pic. Well If I knew that was my problem I'd gladly do that. BUT Crites cannot even tell me if these are right after sending then the pics above!!!??? DONT THEY BUILD THEM??? WTF!!!
WOW! sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with Crites, I bought my motor mounts, tranny mount, sub frame connectors from Crites and got the stuff within 2 weeks with no issues. As for the headers any reputable shop should fix the headers for free but probably have you pick up the shipping to get them there. Even though I had issues with my maddog headers, Mark fixed them for free and paid for the frieght back to me, I just paid for the frieght getting the headers to him. I would expect NO LESS from Crites, that is the right thing to do.
Good luck
Dave

·
Registered
412 Posts
headers

hey dan they r made by hooker[ super comps ],what i was told a long time ago and yes i had to ding mine here and there but nothing serious,Just think if u had went with rack and done away with the towers,[hopefully that will be my next fix] yeah i know shoulda coulda ,,,,,bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Been there done that

50Dan. Take the tubes out have them cut and rewelded by a compitent welder. I had the EXACT problem with my tubes in my 67 Comet wagon. He cut out a section flipped it and rewlded it worked great. My tubes looked exactly like yours in the picture where the steering arm would stop it from turning. I also shaved a little material from the side of the steering box. Mine headers were already coated also, so we had to redo that. Hope this helps.
Just get em done so you can run!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Contacted Crites again yesterday and they are going to put the headers on the jig and try to figure out the problem. I'll be making the road trip next week. I feel a lot better knowing I can get past this issue now with their help. I just wanna get this thing fired up and going!
Every part I've bought from them has been of great quality, hopefully this gets worked out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Contacted Crites again yesterday and they are going to put the headers on the jig and try to figure out the problem. I'll be making the road trip next week. I feel a lot better knowing I can get past this issue now with their help. I just wanna get this thing fired up and going!
Every part I've bought from them has been of great quality, hopefully this gets worked out.
Well GUESS WHAT!!! Today is the day I took off work and scheduled to go to Crites today and nobody is there to help me??? Luckily I had emailed first BEFORE MAKING THE 2 HOUR DRIVE THIS MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts