460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am working on my 68 Ford Galaxie and I am looking to replace the 8.8 rearend with a 9. Could someone please let me know if it’s a direct swap? Or if it will take modifications to complete it? I have access to a 9, but having a hard time finding a good used 8.8, car has coils not leaf springs. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ford did not build you’re Galaxie with an 8.8 rear end! If it has an 8.8 under it then someone put it there. I don’t recall of Ford offered the 8” and also the 9” in ‘68 but if you can find a 9” from a ‘68 Galaxie it should bolt in as long as no chassis modifications have been made to the car.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
175 Posts
Yup! That's an 8.8! Just curious, why you wanna change it? Those things can withstand a buttload of abuse when they are set up right, even rivaling the old 9in rear..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has a crack in it and I’m not sure how. So when I started searching for another housing is when I ran into the availability issue. Found one in Indiana, but looking like it’s going to cost a small fortune to get it to San Diego CA.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
175 Posts
Check your local pick-n-pulls, Ford rangers, explorers, some of the crown vics, 80's and 90's Lincolns and mustangs have em, you may have to swap over your brackets, but depending on where yours is cracked it may be an easy fix if you know someone who's handy with torches and a welder... Finding a 9in for your Galaxy as you may have already discovered may be hard to find and pricey simply because of the model's becoming rare and a lil more collectable.. best of luck with your ride! Sound like a cool project!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
It looks like someone went to a lot of trouble to put the 8.8 under there, I’d investigate fixing the crack before deciding to swap the axle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's an original 3 link rear suspension along with an original housing. I think they started using this style in the 1967 and later full size fords instead of the 9". I think the lug pattern is going to be 5x5 vs the 5x4.5.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's an original 3 link rear suspension along with an original housing. I think they started using this style in the 1967 and later full size fords instead of the 9". I think the lug pattern is going to be 5x5 vs the 5x4.5.
What is the ring gear diameter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you, I’d like to find one, so I can swap the internal gears if needed and without having to do modifications.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts