460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I just bought a 1969 lincoln continental. Amazing car but wanting to do a few upgrades. But I keep running into nothing fitting a 69 jumps straight to 70 what's the difference will the 70s parts work for 69 460?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Cool car, 69 has a few differences, the engines are basically the same however, the 69 has the power steering pump driven by the crankshaft, interesting system but a bit of an odd duck. It can be converted to the later system, you would need a 70-71 timing cover, harmonic balancer, power steering pump, hoses and braketry. The pump produces 1200 lbs pressure so you can scrape a deer off your windshield with the wipers. The water pump shaft is slightly longer so when you replace it you will get the later pump and the belt won't line up, you can rebuild the water pump yourself, see link below. You can also swap all the belt drive pulleys and water pump from the 70-71. Change the cam chain and gears since the cam gear has nylon teeth and if it hasn't been done it's a problem waiting to happen.

The reason the water pump shaft is different is Ford installed a larger (thicker) radiator in the later 70-71's because the 69 system was marginal, the later pumps shaft is shorter to clear the new radiator. Your engine has a points type distributor if it hasn't been upgraded already. Another problem area you may run into is in the steering, the spindles, rotors, and bearings are smaller on the 69, very hard to find. They can be swapped with the later 70-71 versions which are bigger. I know this to be true on Mark III's. The mark III is based on a different platform (Thunderbird) and, I believe it is also true for the 69 Continental.

What are you planning to do for future mods? Also, is your car a coup or sedan? Lets see a few more pics. Again, cool car. I'm partial to Lincolns, have two Mark III's (one is a parts car) Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, and, there are allot of really knowledgeable people here. Welcome.

Dan

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Here is a few pics of the crank driven power steering pump. The car in the back ground is a 69 Mark III I bought and have stripped down for parts. The engine is being used for a 545 stroker for my 71 Mark III.

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for all of the info!! Sounds like I have a pile of work in front of me.🤣🤣🤦‍♂️ well should be fun to do just wasn't expecting all of that. I plan on bagging it to give it the newer street look. It had a complete restoration on it in 88-89. Im 4th owner and have a pike of documon it.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Wow, beautiful car, if the power steering system is working I'd suggest leaving it alone, parts are available for it and the pump can be rebuilt if needed. If the car is going to be used as a cruiser it actually works quite well. I've read that it becomes problematic if the engine is modified and frequently spun past 5000 RPM or so. It actually looks cleaner under the hood. Rockauto sells reman pumps for the car.

There is a really good group on Fakebook called Suicide Slabs with a bunch of people who will give you much information about the car, it's systems, and parts sources. Many guys there who have bagged their cars, and sources for parts for doing it as well. Link below.

For the engine and transmission there are a bunch of guys here to help.
Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts