460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I posted a few months ago about my 521 install and the huge 264/268 cam versus my inadequate heads/intake/exhaust package. However it is still running well and fun to drive. I am interested in taking the car down the quarter mile this summer.

I've looked at some other people running 67-70 Mustangs in the low 12 second bracket and it seems a more moderate cam is the way forward but the 3.25-50 and 2500 stall convertor is par for the course.

I was thinking of just buying a pair of MT Street Radials in something like 255/60/15 for my spare 8x15 rims and giving it a go :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi folks

I posted a few months ago about my 521 install and the huge 264/268 cam versus my inadequate heads/intake/exhaust package. However it is still running well and fun to drive. I am interested in taking the car down the quarter mile this summer.

I've looked at some other people running 67-70 Mustangs in the low 12 second bracket and it seems a more moderate cam is the way forward but the 3.25-50 and 2500 stall convertor is par for the course.

I was thinking of just buying a pair of MT Street Radials in something like 255/60/15 for my spare 8x15 rims and giving it a go :grin:

With a gear change and the slicks you should be in mid to lower 11's. My 57 Ford with a mild 502 and at 3600 lbs. runs 11.30's @ 117-118 mph. I'm using the same exact tire you mentioned and get 1.55-1.56 60 ft. times with Caltracs of coarse.

·
Registered
502 Posts
No answers for ya but nice work getting that motor stuffed in there! All the big block cars of your vintage and engine compartment I've seen had the shock towers gone and a Mustang 2 suspension.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No answers for ya but nice work getting that motor stuffed in there! All the big block cars of your vintage and engine compartment I've seen had the shock towers gone and a Mustang 2 suspension.
I'm running a '69 Mustang with a 460, iron CJ heads, and tall valve covers over roller rockers WITHOUT shock tower mods. Have to run manual brakes to clear the VCs. VCs are less than 3/8" from the shock towers. Plug and header access is horrific.

That engine in that car was not one of my brighter ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts