460 Ford Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
One beat-up woodruff key. Looks like I did it twice! Must try harder next time.
The question remains, though, could the improper seating of the damper cause it to fail?

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
If the damper was so snug on the crank snout that you could not seat it against the lower timing gear I'd say no.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah, Scotty, that's my feeling as well.
The funny thing is, the damper doesn't look too bad. Some radial cracks in the rubber and bulges in two places, on the same side.Nowhere near as bad as some I've seen.
I can't get it to turn on the bench, but maybe I could have when I was 25!
There's a guy here who has a stock replacement damper from Australia.
It's supposed to fit right and I should get it on Monday.
We shall see.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The damper fits up to the pump hub which fits up to the crank sprocket..are the sprocket and pump hub on the same key or is the damper and pump hub on the same key? I should know this but it's been a while.Anyway,if the damper rubber is still tight and hasn't slipped,then you must not have engaged the key with the damper since your timing marks are off.You might have pulled the damper up to the pump hub key and stopped,The pulleys had to have been misaligned.How did the belts fit?....or all this could be wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The crank Sprocket and the pump drive are on the same key. The damper is on a smaller key and should fit against the pump hub. There are no signs on the crankshaft snout that the damper hub was rotating on it, and the damper being just under four-tenths off suggests to me the damper and key were at least partially engaged. The hub was gripping on something, because I could turn the motor with the bolt, against the compression, in both directions. There are two grooves in the crank pulley. I use an aftermarket water pump and the alternator is from a Ford Scorpio. The Lincoln water pump pulley has three grooves and the alternator has only one groove. I made it all fit together. I put the manifold back on today and rebuilt the carburettor, so if this thing comes tomorrow and fits, I'll put it on. If not, I might put the old one on an try to test Thermod's theory. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I see that you mentioned a Weiand water pump earlier.None of the Lincoln pulleys should have worked with that pump.I suspect that the damper riding out .4 allowed the use of the wrong groove on the crank so the belt lined up.You might try this to retain the Lincoln ps pump and Weiand wp.The pump hub is about 1/4 in longer than a later spacer.Get a cheap conventional damper and see if milling 1/4 off the snout would cause interference with the pump body and the damper.If not,any later model crank and wp pulleys should work.The 1/4 in mentioned is an approximation,pump hub must be measured.Just throwing this out at you,haven't tried it myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Interesting. It is so long ago, I don't remember what I did. There is a valve-spring shim behind the pulley which has P/N C9AE-8509-E. A mighty impressive thing - made in two pieces, spot welded together and balanced! I had it chromed. I have also considered the possibility of milling things to fit, if necessary. The replacement damper did not turn up today.

Looking at the picture, I've got the rear groove in the w/p pulley aligned with the front groove in the c/s pulley. So. obviously, if I got the stock damper seated properly, the grooves would not line up. I'm beginning to wish I'd left it alone now. Ignorance is bliss. Until the crank breaks, of course.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts