460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys its me again. Just picked up a 1970 ford 460 with a c6 trans out of a lincoln. Its a complete running engine and transmission. Drove about an hour and a half to go get it. Drizzled all day but all in all not to bad. Currently sitting in my truck bed its waiting for me to clear out my storage container to house it. I was really excited to go pick it up. It has DOVE-C heads, DOVE intake, does not have crank driven powersteering, don't know carb tho. Now I have something to build on the side. Cant wait to clean it and tear it open Dont know what I'm gonna do with it yet but i thought I would share with you guys. Anyway I have some pics of it. Even has air conditioning...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Nice! I'm always watching for a deal as well. You're hooked now you need a car to put it in. Haha.

D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
engine

IMO, I would rering and bearing that motor and build your 429, the new motor looks like the 365HP motor out of a lincoln, you could make it streetable by lowering the compression and putting hardend seats in the heads and a mild cam and that beast would kill the tires in the wagon, I think that motor has 11.to 1 compression, I will get my old book out and look, I have a book that has 1964 to 1971 engines in it, have fun with it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am hooked now lol. I just moved into a big old house and have a big back yard and a huge storage shed with lots of room to put stuff now! Picked this bad boy up with my good friend. I can't wait to tear it open. Yeah it was out of a lincoln continental. Thinking either 10.5-1 or 11-1 don't know tho. yeah that's my plan is to clean this up, look inside and make it a beast to swap into the wagon. Unless my brother decides he wants to swap out that little 302 in his 70 fairlane for a real engine. :D

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Brother

I love my brother but he would NOT get this engine from me, no freekin way dude, but anyway congrads on the house Bro, and if you run across another motor like yours please give me a call, I would drive all the way up there to get yours if the price was not to high "REALLY" I still need all the pullies and brackets for my old truck, you know I still have a complete 454 chevy street/mud truck motor that is complete with a comp cam and kit and performer RPM intake I also have a HEI dizzy for it as well, and roller rockers and a set of small block vortec heads and intake (edelbrock) for the vortec heads

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks yeah I love having a house and not being stuck in an apartment. I was just remembering that you needed brackets and pullies. Well your in luck because I don't need that stuff. Probably gonna sell the trans off and some other stuff. My 429 is beginning to smoke a lot when all warmed up. :(. Hopefully tomorrow ill get the shed cleared out and this engine in then I can take the front apart when I get it on an engine stand. Because right now its sitting in thebbed of my truck and i cant drive my truck anywhere lol. Ill get some pictures of the brackets for you if you want and see if they will work.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
brackets and pullies

you know that would help me out a bunch, if you took the front apart and bagged and tagged everything, I know that sounds like a bunch of extra crap but it will help me sssooooo much when it goes back toghther and if you are not going to use the p/s pump I will take that too, like I said everything off the front even the belts and some pictures too!!!!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got all the accessories and brackets off the engine (which I bagged and tagged and took detailed picstures for you butterbean :D). Disconnected all the lines got the carb distributor and intake off. Man the distributor was pretty stuck and the intake seals were ROCK hard. Engine looks pretty clean under the intake and in the valve cover. Will get some pics up after work. Hope to get trans and heads off tonight and hopefully on an engine stand. Oh yeah and holy god that ac compressor is heavy!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
IMO, I would rering and bearing that motor and build your 429, the new motor looks like the 365HP motor out of a lincoln, you could make it streetable by lowering the compression and putting hardend seats in the heads and a mild cam and that beast would kill the tires in the wagon, I think that motor has 11.to 1 compression, I will get my old book out and look, I have a book that has 1964 to 1971 engines in it, have fun with it!!!!!!!
Only the CJ/SCJ where in the 11to1 compression area 11.3 if memerory is correct. 10.5 comp. with the 10.3 deck height 429-460 standard engines which was 1968,69 and maybe 1970. My old 1986 SVO catalog states that the deck was raised to 10.31 and finally 10.32 final deck height. The dish in some of the era 429 and 460 pistons appear about the same, if that is the case the 429 may have been a tad lower, at say 10.2-10.3, but that is an assumption on my part. Very nice motor in the picks, gotta love some dirty nasty old 429 460, for sure. If you run the high compresson on todays 10% achohol 93 octane fuel with a decent timing curve, a little fat on the carb and the right cam you shoud be ok. Think 108 degree on your lobe seperation, ISKY MEGACAM, 264 0r 270 or 108's, by the way, so you can bleed off a little compression through the exhaust pipes with the extra overlap and get hardened exhaust seats if you are going to drive it alot. If you don't like high dollar super unleaded, you might want to try some D3 heads. If you bore it you can get some dished pistons, and use the closed chamber heads. If it where me, and there was not much ridge, I would rering it, and put the money in the heads. Show a picture of the cylinder ridge when you get the heads off, and the top of the piston. Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I hope to get it on a stand and heads off tonight. Maybe even some of the bottom end as well. Will post pics later if not tonight then tomorrow.

That will be great, and I wish I had one to tear open right now too. When I pulled the heads off my 429 2V 1972 engine, I was shocked at how little ridge there was. I don't know what the mileage was but, a 6.6" rod on a 3.59" stroke sure make for a nice rod angle, and low cylinder wall loading, which a lot of people forget about, with all the stroker builds now days. They sure rev good too, and make alot of power and RPM. As you can tell I'm not on the Big Cube Bandwagon yet. 466-472 can run like a scaled ape too, and be all Ford, which is what I like. Mark your lifters to the cam lobe when you tear it down, in case someone slipped a high performance, or RV cam in it, in the past, and some old schoolers, even like keep to the push rods and the rokers together that way too, if they are going to be reused. You are fortunate to have both a 429 and 460 to play with, in a way, but now you have at least twice as many decisions to make, HaHa, Lucky You.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Alright guys well I finally got to get it out of the shed and into the garage on a stand today. I got it all taken down to the block. Heads came off easy but broke four exhaust bolts( two on each side). So that sucks kind of, but I was too excited to dig deeper to see what it looked like. So I took the heads off only to find absolutely no ridge and I'm not sure but I think you can still see the cross hatching in the cylinders. So I finally got it drained and upside down to take off main caps. And to my surprise I found the bearings looked brand new. No grooves or wear what so ever. Let me know what you think about the cylinders and main bearings. Im excited to get to the rods bearings tomorrow. I plan to rering and regasket at the least on this engine. Probably will get a cam and heads are going to get ported most likely. Here are some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's my little brother in the pic he's actually way bigger than me and he's only 18. nothing like tearing an engine apart in your flip flops. Lol. Anyway here's some more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
And some more. Also I think this engine had a block heater.

Sure looks lik a block heater, what I thought to, before I reread the posts. Put an ohm meter across it and check for continuitity, may still be good. By the looks of your pictures the ridge looks minimal, but you will have to be the judge, as it is hard to tell by photo's. The timing chain slack looks normal for a broken in unit, but again, hard to tell, replace it anyway, but keep it for a suveneneer, along thith the block heater. Looks like you scored a killer virgin engine, that needs very little to go back together, and run. Like I said eariler, so many choices. Bolt it back to gether and soup up the 429, or soup this one up and run the 429 in the meantime, ect. ect. yes, no, well, what, oh hell.;) Enjoy the Diease, there is no cure!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got it out yeah it was a block heater. Im wondering if i can reuse the bearings in there or if i should get new ones. They seem to be very smooth and have no wear to them or the crank. still need to pull the rest and the rod bearings to check them out. definately will rering though, whats a good place to get rings? and bearings if need be? thanks guys

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also are thee stock pistons? or aftermarket dish? whats the compression ratio with the dove heads?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts