460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 modle 460 out of a Lincoln , and I want to put it in a 73 mustang ive had for years.
This car will be a project I do with my 2 boys and all I'm looking for is stock hp numbers in a car that is as reliable as a 73 mustang can be.
I don't expect it to be a race car just something that sounds good and we can have fun with.
The heads and long block were rebuilt by a very reputable machine shop localy 20 yrs ago.
since then its set on a stand getting lubricated and occasionally turned over, so I think its in good shape.
I still have the original intake,valve covers ,and timing chain covers ect.

car weighs a portly 4052 lbs

I have a 9 inch rea rend with stock 327 gear .

I have a rebuilt c6 with a stock converter

I plan on stock 15 in wheels with street tires

I hope I can run this on 93 octane , However I think I may have problems with valve seats

I have all the stock components such as cam, lifters rocker arms and pushrods oil pump ect.

when motor was rebuilt we reused stock pistons so compression I believe is about 10.5-1

heads are dove c

haven't bought a carb. old one is thrashed

Hooker full length headers 1.75 if I measured them right
looking for recommendations on rest of exhaust.

still have stock head bolts , can I reuse ,or should I buy new

Parts I still need
oil pump
balancer
distributor
coil
water pump
starter
alternator

Id like to keep the budjet as reasonable as possible, and would be happy with a lot of these parts being stock.
However , im a little gunshy of rebuilt starters ect , so im looking for some guidance
I think the overall budjet needs to be under $ 2500.00.
Thanks for any advice you have

·
Registered
38 Posts
In terms of ignition - the 460 shares the same distributor as the 351 Cleveland, so used ones should be plentiful. To keep costs down I'd try to get a used Mallory or similar dual-point unit and replace the points with a Pertronix ignitor.
I use a Tilton Super Starter - would take a big chunk of your budget, but boy do they work. Spins my 11.6:1 comp 466 faster than my Volvo on a cold day. My engine likes a lot of spark, so get a good coil and possibly a second-hand MSD or similar amplifier. Also - get the best oil-pump drive shaft you can find. The 460 is a forgiving engine - have fun cruisin' it :cool:.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In terms of ignition - the 460 shares the same distributor as the 351 Cleveland, so used ones should be plentiful. To keep costs down I'd try to get a used Mallory or similar dual-point unit and replace the points with a Pertronix ignitor.
I use a Tilton Super Starter - would take a big chunk of your budget, but boy do they work. Spins my 11.6:1 comp 466 faster than my Volvo on a cold day. My engine likes a lot of spark, so get a good coil and possibly a second-hand MSD or similar amplifier. Also - get the best oil-pump drive shaft you can find. The 460 is a forgiving engine - have fun cruisin' it :cool:.
First off I like the car , very nice I hope mine turns out that nice.
I will agree that ignition seems to be a really big deal on a pre smog motor.
Does your car have any problems with pump gas?
Did you change your heads to hardened valve seats?
Thanks for responding your experience with this engine is very helpfull, and its cool to know somebody who has one of these motors in a car like mine. if you have time id love to see some more pics of your car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. The nice thing about a 460 in a 71-73 Mustang is that they make big power and fit in the engine bay without the need to modify the chassis/suspension/steering etc.The car was made for the 429 CJ after all. Everything else is like any other car build, but the engine and transmission are heavy, so I suggest renewing the entire front suspension and steering with all new stock replacement parts. Mine drives like a new 50-year old car, which is surprisingly good. I run '69 iron heads, Cobra Jet valves, hand ported exhausts with cleaned up intake runners. You have to get all those lumps and bumps out of the exhaust ports to make decent power. I have the same headers as you. The valve seats are not hardened. I use a 99-octane pump unleaded fuel available here and add an octane booster with lead replacement additive. Runs absolutely fine. Older cars are exempt from emissions testing here. Not everyone likes the big Mustangs, but I do. Took a long time to do and it will never be finished. Some pictures here:
https://flic.kr/p/Xyw6HH
Also - I would recommend buy new bolts or ARP head studs. perhaps new bolts or studs for the main caps. Absolutely new bolts for the con-rods

My children are not interested in anything with wheels on - only screens - so I hope your boys enjoy the experience. The most important thing is to have fun. If it starts feeling like work - I stop for a while.
Best of luck with it
Martin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts