460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I bought a 71 f100 a few years back, and it came with a 460 out of a 73 Lincoln Continental.

What I thought was a knock in the engine for a while turned out to be the exhaust manifold hitting the darn frame when there's a rough idle.

My understanding is that the exhaust manifold found in passenger cars with a 460 are (obviously) not suitable for a truck. For the life of me, I can't figure out a part number or type of manifold that would be "slimmer" for use in the truck (on the passenger side). Does anyone have any ideas on the right / or better specific manifold to use for my truck?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Here's a picture of the manifold touching the frame, for reference (apologies for the rust. It's a slow work-in-progress restoration ):

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: For anyone in the same position as I am, I managed to track down a set of headers that will do what I want ( Hedman Specialty and Engine Swap Headers 89230 ).

These are designed for a range of late 60s / early 70s F100s that have a 460 swapped in. They're a bit on the expensive side, but since Im not able to find an exhaust manifold that would fit the engine/truck combo I have, it'll have to do: Hedman Specialty and Engine Swap Headers 89230

If anyone has any ideas about stock manifolds that could be used, that would be good to know.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I just removed a small amount of the frame rail enough to clear the manifold on my 77 F 250 high boy. The issue is that the car manifolds have that awkward configuration. The only other way (other than custom headers) is to use truck specific manifolds which I discovered later.

Reactions: BiggusEnginus

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure if the frame widths are the same from bumpside to dentside or if 2wd and 4wd will matter for you, but... I swapped a 460 into my 78 Bronco and used factory truck manifolds. They clear just fine.

Here's a few pics where I was mocking things up prior to final install.

I actually have two sets of the manifolds and I had them blasted and high-temp powder coated. The set that's in my Bronco is off a mid 80's F250. The other set came off a D0VE 460 that was swapped into a 2wd dentside supercab I found in the JY, so I have no idea what the original vehicle was, but they were clearly made after 1970. I set them side by side at one point and they were identical in shape and exit orientation.

Here's some pics of the casting numbers on the two passenger side truck manifolds for anyone who wants to hunt them down. The earlier casting uses separate exhaust donuts whereas the later one has them cast as part of the manifold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if the frame widths are the same from bumpside to dentside or if 2wd and 4wd will matter for you, but... I swapped a 460 into my 78 Bronco and used factory truck manifolds. They clear just fine.

Here's a few pics where I was mocking things up prior to final install.

I actually have two sets of the manifolds and I had them blasted and high-temp powder coated. The set that's in my Bronco is off a mid 80's F250. The other set came off a D0VE 460 that was swapped into a 2wd dentside supercab I found in the JY, so I have no idea what the original vehicle was, but they were clearly made after 1970. I set them side by side at one point and they were identical in shape and exit orientation.

Here's some pics of the casting numbers on the two passenger side truck manifolds for anyone who wants to hunt them down. The earlier casting uses separate exhaust donuts whereas the later one has them cast as part of the manifold.
Wow, that's a heckuva nice engine and manifolds you've got there @Doosenberry ! And many thanks for the info and the pics there. It's much appreciated.

I did a bit more digging and managed to discover that Dorman has a (sort-of) generic truck/van manifold for a 460 Dorman Products - 674-229 (Dorman part number 674229). Based on their fitment guide, It looks like it fits 90's F-series big blocks, but my other research indicated that it would fit the 460 in my truck. The only downside I see is that it has a couple of holes in it for sensors, which could easily be blocked off, I wager. It looks remarkably similar to your last image of the Ford manifold, in fact.

Before I make a purchase, I think I might check out the manifold you've shown above and do a bit more research. Thanks again for your reply!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just removed a small amount of the frame rail enough to clear the manifold on my 77 F 250 high boy. The issue is that the car manifolds have that awkward configuration. The only other way (other than custom headers) is to use truck specific manifolds which I discovered later.
Thanks for the tips @QUICKSHIFT ... I had briefly considered modding the frame to give the mani some clearance, but the purist in me won out. It would definitely fix my problem for zero dollars, though I'm pretty sure my pops, who used to own an f100 of the same year, would disown me if he ever found out. ;-)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow, that's a heckuva nice engine and manifolds you've got there @Doosenberry ! And many thanks for the info and the pics there. It's much appreciated.

I did a bit more digging and managed to discover that Dorman has a (sort-of) generic truck/van manifold for a 460 Dorman Products - 674-229 (Dorman part number 674229). Based on their fitment guide, It looks like it fits 90's F-series big blocks, but my other research indicated that it would fit the 460 in my truck. The only downside I see is that it has a couple of holes in it for sensors, which could easily be blocked off, I wager. It looks remarkably similar to your last image of the Ford manifold, in fact.

Before I make a purchase, I think I might check out the manifold you've shown above and do a bit more research. Thanks again for your reply!

Thanks! I don't know how nice it really is, but it's definitely different as far as the paint goes. It's just rattle canned. You'll notice a few runs here and there. lol.

I hope whatever you go with works out for you!

I purposely went with manifolds on my setup just to make sure I wouldn't have any fitment issues. I didn't want long tubes that would hang down low and I don't want fenderwell exit, so that doesn't leave a lot of options. I already had the manifolds from the donor engine I bought that became the 460 in my Bronco, so that was clearly the cheapest and most straight forward solution.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
any D3T D9T D4T ETC ETC WILL WORK,IF the engine is installed in the right spot between the rails d3v < noT in 3rd spot is pass car. either that or notch the top of the frame rail for car manifolds

1 - 8 of 8 Posts