460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1977 460 engine. All stock except for Holley Sniper EFI/ignition, and the smog stuff removed because EFI does the job a whole lot better.

Could do with a little more power in a 5000 lb car, but I am not using the car for racing or towing.

Would installing a straight up timing gear and swapping the low-compression cylinder heads for C8VE/C9VE/D0VE heads be a good upgrade, while keeping the rest stock?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes it would be. I'd also go with a little better cam and port out the exhaust side of the heads. But have someone that knows what they're doing, do it. Also improve the exhaust system to allow for better flow. Recurve the dist to go with the newer setup. I would also go to roller tip rocker arms, while you're in there, to improve the valve train and reliability.

·
Premium Member
9,270 Posts
Early castings on an OEM 1977 short block yield just about 9 to 1 static c/r.
Yes it is an improvement especially given the the early heads have a slightly better exhaust port as cast due to increased cross section. Do not however expect a miracle.

A straight up timing set and properly curved distributor and a proper but modest cam upgrade can add some urgency.

SJ
used2b RHP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good. Any recommended cam for this setup? Like I wrote, no racing or towing, just something that works on normal rpms. And of course with a smooth, stable idle just like stock.

Timing set will of course be done, and the EFI system also controls timing, so ignition curves can be easily customized.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sounds good. Any recommended cam for this setup? Like I wrote, no racing or towing, just something that works on normal rpms. And of course with a smooth, stable idle just like stock.

Timing set will of course be done, and the EFI system also controls timing, so ignition curves can be easily customized.
Something between, .490"-.515" lift with about 205dur @.050" lift. I'm not a big fan of Edelbrock cams. Crane cam #353901 looks good for a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
9,270 Posts
We use a custom voodoo grind for this type of application.

207 / 219 on a 110 in at 106.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thinking about doing the same after they spend some time under Scott's care. 79 truck 460. About where would that put the CR?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again,
got my hands on a set D0VE-C heads, rebuilt with hardened valve seats etc.

The heads have valves and rocker studs installed, and Comp Cams 4834 guide plates. No rockers came with the heads, so I need to get those complete with mounting parts, and of course new pushrods in correct length. I know I have to measure the pushrods, but any ideas on which rockers I should get? Roller rockers would be nice, and they definitely would have to fit under the stock valve covers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts