460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 419 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well Folks I finally got around to hooking up the internet at home. Mostly for economical reasons, but also for documenting my buildup.:cool:

I plan to drop a 557 stroker big block into my newly aquired 1978 Mercury Zephyr that has been back halfed with Chris Alston's pro street ladder bar kit.

So far I have yanked the 466 inch from the Mustang and torn it down for damage inspection.

Mucho damage!:eek:

Bent push rod, grenaded lifter, rounded camshaft lobe, etc..

Check out the new ride and the damaged, but hopefully rebuildable big block.

Take a look at that #6 cylinder wall....the wrist pin rubbed the cylinder wall....ouch!!!:eek:

Waddda yall think?....Will an .080 overbore take care of that scratch??

Think Bob Glidden 1978 Pro Stock Champ, Dyno Don's 1978 Ford Fairmont......Animal Jim 1979 Bright Orange Mercrury Zephyr....

Hey GFORCE you out there? !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1978 557 Zephyr Build

The first Foxbody Ford / Mercury product.......:D

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No sleeve for this cheap block! Its less expensive to buy another block than pay for a sleeve. If I have to sleeve it, Ill be ordering a new short block already put together.:D Ha ha ha!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some shots of the engine after I took it out of the Mustang, and after tear down.

Note the bent pushrod and the grenaded lifter.:(

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
pics

No, not yet :( having can`t get my *** in gear and finish putting together mode funk.. its kinda sitting on the engine stand,,,the weather and temp changes here in Tx has really played hell with my allergies and headaches, Xmas Sooo not so much in the garage need to get going somehow brkt. season not to far off as fast as these damn months are going by plus have a 66 fairlane to work in there somehow. Hope to post pics soon but have a old pc 5oo something gig so might not let me. All these guys having something to show is killing me. Bill

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, not yet :( having can`t get my *** in gear and finish putting together mode funk.. its kinda sitting on the engine stand,,,the weather and temp changes here in Tx has really played hell with my allergies and headaches, Xmas Sooo not so much in the garage need to get going somehow brkt. season not to far off as fast as these damn months are going by plus have a 66 fairlane to work in there somehow. Hope to post pics soon but have a old pc 5oo something gig so might not let me. All these guys having something to show is killing me. Bill
I hear you!

Allergies can take the fun out of anything.

You gotta take some medcine so you can get into it! :eek:

No excuses! Ha ha.

You just need to watch some Hot Rod TV or SpeedVision to get worked up again.

Look forward to checking out your build.

Im on hold until the New Year, but I hope to start ordering parts soon :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
78 557 Merc Zephyr

Well yall its been a couple of years since I started my project. It got set aside while the kids in school. Still thinking about what to do. I like the 557 700 hp engine by Cars from Carl. Whaddya think?

Also been lookin at the D+D swap kits for headders, oil pan, and engine mounts.:cool:

I got a short tail C6 trans that needs freshening up - was wondering if I would have any issues installing the 2 inch one piece long tube headders into a stock fox chassis??

The car has 4:10 gears with 31 x 18.5 Micky Thompsons for the street and its also tubbed with a Cris Alston Ladder Bar set up out back.

Looking to go 10s on pump gas.

What would be a good converter to go with the Cars by Carl 700hp 557 combo?

Thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hey 738,

Thats a HOT Zephyr Dude!

Sweeeeeet! :D

Im about to start purchasing parts for my build and I have a ton of questions - lol.

Where did you get that hood - did you make it??

Do you have a stock front end or one of those tubular front ends?

Obviously you are running a big block....did you use the D&D kit to get it in?

What trans are you running?

Do I see a roll bar in the back?
----------------------------------------

Only thing Im sure about at this point is that Im going with a Cars by Carl 557.

Thinkin bout going with a 3-5 inch cowl induction hood or taller Boss 429 scoop (Boss 429 may not be tall enough tho).

Rick

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well yall its been a couple of years since I started my project. It got set aside while the kids in school. Still thinking about what to do. I like the 557 700 hp engine by Cars from Carl. Whaddya think?

Also been lookin at the D+D swap kits for headders, oil pan, and engine mounts.:cool:

I got a short tail C6 trans that needs freshening up - was wondering if I would have any issues installing the 2 inch one piece long tube headders into a stock fox chassis??

The car has 4:10 gears with 32 x 14 Micky Thompsons for the street and its also tubbed with a Cris Alston Ladder Bar set up out back.

Looking to go 10s on pump gas.

What would be a good converter to go with the Cars by Carl 700hp 557 combo?

Thanks
Ok!

At long last, I have started to collect parts that I need to get my 557 project started!:D

I have:

AJE K Member
Strange Adjustable Drag shocks with the 200 lb springs
AJE adjustable camber plates
Moroso Bump Steer kit
Hurst Roll Control
Manual Master Cylinder Brake kit
Unisteer Manual Rack and Pinion
Hooker Headers
Flowmaster 3.5 inch 40 Series Mufflers
RRC20 Gallon Fuel Cell
Russell Holley Demon Fuel System
Rebuilt C6 with TCI R Code Servo and TCI Manual Reverse Valve Body
TCI Ultimate Streetfighter Torque Converter
Single groove aluminum pulley set
Harwood 4 inch cowl induction hood scoop
TCI High Torque starter

And last but not least, Im waiting on my 557 from Cars by Carl.

·
Registered
248 Posts
NICE !!!! Lots of nice parts you have there ! Keep the pics coming, I am currently building a 79 Fairmont with a 545, P-51, C6, Mini tubbed
IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

1 - 20 of 419 Posts