460 Ford Forum banner

41 - 60 of 419 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey bajarick

Not sure if you aware of it but there is a All ford fun weekend at Maryland International Raceway this up coming weekend with a swap meet. Just a little heads up if you looking for parts and or inspiration!! Hope to see you there..
Chris

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Not sure if you aware of it but there is a All ford fun weekend at Maryland International Raceway this up coming weekend with a swap meet. Just a little heads up if you looking for parts and or inspiration!! Hope to see you there..
Chris
That sounds good Dude - Ill pencil it into the schedule.:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
HeyJaymie:

I finally got to take some picks of the back half.

You have to excuse the rust and cobb webs, the car has been sitting outside for a while - but that's all about to change.

Some of them need to be rotated to see them properly.

Looks like the floor was cut out per the kit instructions and the new frame rails and cross members were installed.

First pic is from the rear bumper looking forward - you can see the floor cut, the front cross member to the kit, with the front ladder bar connections.

Second pic is looking up from the ground towards the underside of the rear bumper where the rear of the sub frame attaches to the trunk floor.

Third pic is looking forward from bumper towards front of car - you can see frame rail go over the axle towards the front of the sub frame.

Fourth and fifth pics show the upper shock cross member with attaching points.

Seems like once you get the floor cut out according to pattern you just lay the it in and weld it up.

Anyone got any tips for tuning one of these set ups??
Thanks for the pics, helps me get an idea. I'll try to post a few of my car.
Jaymie

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Got my Carl's motor today - Thanks Carl ! :D

The workmanship and detail to the motor is outstanding!

Here are some new pics.

I have a lot of work ahead of me.

I had to swap the cars around to move the Zephyr inside the garage.

Its a hassel taking the big 18.5 x 31 Mickeys on and off so I installed the original mustang wheels to move the car around.

The mustang has been in the garage for 10 years - the Zephyr has been sitting outside next to the garage for the last four years.

I would be putting the 557 in the Stang except I don't want to race it.

The Zephyr is for racing-the Stang is eventually gonna be a restored R-code Mach 1 - it will get a 428 and a 4 speed trans so it will be a good driver.

The Zephyr will be getting the tubular front end, fuel system, exhaust system, drive shaft, manual brakes, and trans.

Hope to have it all installed and running by the spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Removed the K -Member Tonight -New Pics

Got the stock K member wrestled out tonight.

Im very happy that all the k member bolts came out without damage.

I been soaking them with WD-40 since last spring - lol.

The whole front suspension just drops right out!

Freakin thing must weigh 300 lbs!

I put a jack under it to try to stabilize it, but when she gets loose look out -any body parts in the way and they'll get crushed!

I still have to retrieve the spindles - the rest is going to the scrap yard.

Man that engine compartment is huge - but the moda is big too:D

I only see one rusty spot near the battery tray, but its mostly on the surface.

The car only has 58 k miles on it.

A little Simple Green and a can of red paint ought to clean things up a bit, then Ill install the tubular k member and manual steering.

Next will be the manual brakes.

I need some sub frame connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Fuel System Thoughts

I started looking at my fuel tank and how I wanted to mount it.

After looking at the NHRA rule book, I want to install it inside the trunk, and I want to mount the electric pump right beside it.

The trunk area is separated from the drivers compartment with sheet aluminum.

That tan colored tank has got to go - I don't know whats inside that thing and it doesn't have a rear sump

The braided steel fuel lines will run up the outside of the chassis, through the front fender, and into the engine compartment.

Ill be running 10 AN from the tank up to the engine compartment (front fender), 90 degree reducer to 8 AN where it turns up into the fender to the pressure regulator, and 8 AN from the regulator to the 8 AN dual feed carb line (log).

I'd like to keep the electric fuel pump inside the trunk where its safe from moisture and road debris (mostly rubber - heh, heh, heh:D).

Plus I don't like the looks of a fuel cell and pump hanging below the rear of the car.

The electric pump, braided lines, and connectors are still in the boxes.

Anyway, all I'll ever put in the trunk is a ham sandwich:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I found out the hard way that my tubular front end did not include the a arm bolts. after I tossed the stock kmember. go figure, bob

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
My Caster Camber Plates dont match the strut tower!

Hey Zeph,

I hear you.

Last night I was looking at my caster camber plates that I got from AJE a few months back (almost 6 months ago), and the plates have four mounting bolts, but there are only three holes in the strut tower-dang:(

I called AJE and they said I have to drill the four holes for the new camber plate.

Logistics!

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
MANUAL BRAKES MOCKED UP

Mocked up the master cylinder for manual brakes.

I went with a Jeg's manual brake kit.

Old master cylinder and power brake booster removed.

Pedal arm removed and drilled for new pushrod mount - new 7/16 hole must be drilled two inches from original mounting/pivot point.

Installed new pushrod mount to brake pedal with supplied bolts - the switch is coming off and a hydraulic switch will be plumbed in with the new brake line.

The pushrod mount points towards the firewall.

Installed new manual brake cylinder to the aluminum plate.

Reinstalled pedal arm in reverse of removal, screwing the new pushrod mount to the pushrod in the cylinder.

Of course, I still have to mount the front suspension so I can install the rest of the braking system, bend the new brake lines, and bleed the master cylinder.

I want to get the brakes working and then install the line lock kit :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
AJE TUBULAR FRONT END - TRIAL FIT

So I did a trial fit of the tubular front end from AJE tonight.

It fit pretty good overall-but there appears to be a couple of issues:

1) My lower mounting holes on the AJE unit don't line up with the holes in the chassis. The chassis holes appear to be spaced further apart than the holes in the AJE unit.

2) On the upper mounts, there appear to be slotted holes on one side and plain round holes on the passenger side. The result is no side to side adjustment.

However, this may be a design feature. It centers the cross member (side to side), but allows for variances in the location of the holes in the chassis (in a weird sort of way).

Im gonna post some more pics in the following reply.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
TUBULAR FRONT END CONTINUED

I feel the AJE unit is correct.

The chassis is a 78 while the AJE unit is for 79 -04 fox body cars.

The tabs on the lower mounts do not line up (see the 3rd pic - drivers side mounting tab on lower chassis mount - the red colored tab).

On the lower mount, I can get the bolt in the blind holes, but not in the tabs - so Im gonna drill out the tabs (using the AJE hole locations as a template), and put a nut on the stock bolt.

The upper frame mounts on the AJE unit seem to line up perfectly :D

The upper mounts are where most of the stress is gonna be and I am comfortable drilling out the two tabs on the lower mount.

The AJE unit will be straight with the chassis and the lower mounts will still be bolted with two bolts :cool:

Im gonna double check everything and talk to AJE tomorrow.

I still want to freshen the engine compartment so the AJE unit will come back off until I get that job done.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
I put a K-member from a '90 mustang in my '79 mustang. The rear most holes did not line up just like what you have going on. It could just be an early fox body thing.

Jess

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
DESIGN DIFFERENCEBETWEEN THE 78 FOX nd a 79 FOX

I put a K-member from a '90 mustang in my '79 mustang. The rear most holes did not line up just like what you have going on. It could just be an early fox body thing.

Jess
Yep.

I know you a got couple of stout rides - Thanks for watching :cool:

Good to know Im not alone on this one.

I think if this k member is lined up correctly with chassis im good to go.

I can easily drill and bolt the small chassis tabs to the k member and call it done :cool:

What did you do?

Rick

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
MSD ARRIVED TODAY

Is it Halloween or Christmas ??

Someone just sent me some MSD :D

Big cap Dizzy, 6-AL Box, Blaster Coil, and a set of wires :eek:

...just what I need :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yep.

I know you a got couple of stout rides - Thanks for watching :cool:

Good to know Im not alone on this one.

I think if this k member is lined up correctly with chassis im good to go.

I can easily drill and bolt the small chassis tabs to the k member and call it done :cool:

What did you do?

Rick
I laid a couple fat tack welds on the rear most part of the K-member on each side. Easy enough to remove if necessary.

Jess

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
DRILL IT

Yeah - I need one of those things and a plasma cutter.

I could use the cutter to get rid of the sway bar mounts - those suckers have torx heads and they are rusted in place.

I was looking at the Eastwood ST200 with the plasma cutter kit.

In the mean time, bolts will work.

It would be cool to weld in my own exhaust or sub frame connectors - something simple.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
UNISTEER MANUAL STEERING KIT

Cant wait to get this in place!

Check out the bullet proof Unisteer Steering shaft (next to the stocker)...sweet :D

Its a very nice and rugged part - and it looks polished!

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
UNISEER MANUAL RACK AND PINION TEST FIT

I got the K member installed hopefully for the last time.

The manual rack from Unisteer is a nice piece and fit just fine with no issues.

I really like the steering shaft - it looks like jewelery.

The one issue I had tonite was not with the rack and pinion....it was the spindle and strut :eek:

The lower strut mount would not accept the spindle :mad:

This might be another one of the 78 fox body vs 79 fox body - or its a mustang vs zephyr issue.

Hopefully, a call to Strange on Monday morning will set things straight.

Some stuff is still just finger tight - just trying to find out whats fitting correctly and what isn't.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
INSTALLED STOCK STRUT WITH STOCK CAMBER PLATES

For now Im sending the Strange Struts back to Summit (they were the wrong struts - 87 mustang stuff don't fit the 78 stuff).

In the meantime, I modified the stock struts (see pic -stock on the left - modified on the right) so I could put the coil over kit on - all I had to do was hammer the top of the strut casing flush and grind the edge a bit til the sleeve from the coil over kit slipped over the strut housing.

Then I trimmed the stock bump stop down on the "onion style" upper strut mount, slipped on the spring, and installed the mount on top of the strut.

Everything bolted up like it was meant to be.

-I got to play around with the bump steer kit (driver's side looks upside down - it s not bolted - it must have fallen over - lol).

Need to drill the 5/8 hole in the spindle for the larger stud in the bump steer kit.

Ill install caster camber plates and drag struts later.

Non of this stuff is torqued down yet.

Hard to believe this is a 36 year old car.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 419 Posts