460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. I've searched and read hundreds of EXCELLENT and informative posts here on 460 builds. I've got an immaculate 78 F-350 crew cab,C6 with AUX cooler ,4.10s that I use exclusively for towing our 10,000lb 5th wheel to FLA from ONT/CAN and the only mods are: the heads had a clean up with hardened seats installed and springs shimmed, HV oil pump, Hedman elite headers (just installed and yet untested ) Straight up double roller timing set, fresh air intake with K+N, Edle 750 with adapter on the stock spread bore intake.
The plans are to install the Performer intake I have (I HATE adapters) and have a used Comp HE268 with new lifters that I'm contemplating while the intake is off. I'd like to know if the heads and cam are truck specific (the truck is obviously non EGR) or just the same specs as the car. I have multiple trucks that I've used car engines for the conversions and never paid a lot of attn to the truck specific configurations other than exh manifolds and motor mounts. I built a few 1/4mi bracket cars in my days so I know which end of the wrench to hold LOL. Any info or links would be very helpful as a lot of the older links are 404s that I tried.
Thanks. Mark

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
That single pattern cam is less than ideal for your stated use.

Given the miserable 7.7 to 1 static c/r I would deck the heads .030" and get the c/r to 8 to 1.
Early timing set
RPM intake with the crossover blocked off.
Properly curved dizzy.
For your intended use a voodoo 61600 cam would offer better midrange torque and grade pulling ability.

How much clean up on the exhaust? The more the better provided you dont go nuts. Work the intake bowls and back cut BOTH the intake and exhaust valves 30 degrees for better low lift flow.

Dual with straight through mufflers and and X if possible will offer even more midrange torque.

"D

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That single pattern cam is less than ideal for your stated use.

Given the miserable 7.7 to 1 static c/r I would deck the heads .030" and get the c/r to 8 to 1.
Early timing set
RPM intake with the crossover blocked off.
Properly curved dizzy.
For your intended use a voodoo 61600 cam would offer better midrange torque and grade pulling ability.

How much clean up on the exhaust? The more the better provided you dont go nuts. Work the intake bowls and back cut BOTH the intake and exhaust valves 30 degrees for better low lift flow.

Dual with straight through mufflers and and X if possible will offer even more midrange torque.

"D
Thanks for the reply Scotty. As far as the stock cam goes, I assumed it may have a different grind for truck use but apparently not. That comp cam is dated but it's laying around doing nothing so I thought it may have been worth a try. Would a set of 1.8 RR do anything? I doubt it but had to ask...LOL. Again,Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Thanks for the reply Scotty. As far as the stock cam goes, I assumed it may have a different grind for truck use but apparently not. That comp cam is dated but it's laying around doing nothing so I thought it may have been worth a try. Would a set of 1.8 RR do anything? I doubt it but had to ask...LOL. Again,Thanks.
You cam laying around can be reground to better specs.
The stock bolt down sled fulcrum rockers are more than up to the task. Keep them.

There are few differences between the passenger car and truck engines in 1978.

Most critical is to increase static c/r as this affords more torque and efficiency...

I have done so many of these combos and sold so many top end kits for this type of combo that I am especially confident that the suggestions work and work very well.

:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts