460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am having problems with the 460, in my 1 ton van.It won't idle unless the curb idle speed screw is all the way in. Wants to die or idle poorly when I put it in gear. Idles fair when in park. Engine is in really good shape mechanically,and I found no vacuum leaks. I replaced the spark plugs & wires, new distributor cap and rotor. Rebuilt carburetor, done by a friend with 40 years Ford experience. Currently running it off a gas can, with a clean can and fresh gas. What should I try next? This is frustrating me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally had a chance to check things, I brought the dist to TDC on #1 cyl, rotor was pointing to #1. But upon looking at the inside of the dist, it had a lot of corrosion inside. (my new cap and rotor were ok). So I pulled it out, and bought a remanufactured one to put back in. I also discovered a fitting on the manifold vacuum tree, that had no hose on it. Was hidden behind the dist, so could not see it. That could have been a big part of my issue there. So will put it all back together and see how it does

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Reman distributors have timing curves that are all over the map. Best to check it out.

14 initial
34 total at about 3200 rpm
10 to 14 vacuum advance at 18"

Good place to start.

Instructions can be found here.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it to run, set timing at 8* as per the hood decal. Ran smoothly. But when I put the vacuum advance hose back on, it went back to the crap idle I have been plagued with. Later in the afternoon I pulled the hose again, and it did same thing, smooth idle with vacuum advance disconnected, rough with hose connected. Under hood sticker shows it connected to a manifold vacuum tee at front of intake. I also sprayed carb cleaner along both sides of the intake, and the idle picked up more, when I sprayed over the center port of the intake, on right bank.

Would it be advisable, to pull the intake, and apply RTV on all the intake ports?

·
Registered
31 Posts
It would be advisable to pull the intake the replace the intake gaskets. A SMALL amount of rtv on the new gaskets would be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I sure wish these 460's didn't use that 1 piece metal valley pan intake gasket, those damn things are not cheap! Thoughts on the reason for it idling better with the vacuum advance hose disconnected, could this be because of the intake gasket vacuum leak? How much coolant do I need to drain out,before pulling it

EDIT**** I found the problem area right above cyl #3 intake runner. Gasket is there and in tact, I'm thinking the intake bolts for that runner have simply loosened up, will re torque all the bolts, and maybe slip some sealer down in the gap if possible, then re try it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I snugged up all the intake bolts this morning, and put some sealer along the edges around the affected intake runner. While I had valve cover off, so I could see the intake gasket edges better, I snapped shot of the inside, was amazed as to how clean it was (Was not wiped clean, this is how it looked) Not bad for having 127k on it, this 460 had to have been well cared for previously (I will take good care of it too)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts