460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 F350 460
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've slowly been rebuilding a 1983 F350 with a 460 four speed and have been looking into a natural gas/propane conversion. Does anyone know of a good kit or how hard it would be to install? It would also be nice if I could still run it off of regular unleaded aswell but I am willing to make some sacrifices.
-Thanks, Callen

·
Registered
241 Posts
You could run propane and still retain the ability to run gasoline, but you'll need to switch from the mixer to the carb, and retain both fuel systems. There are loads of kits online for this conversion. Gopropane.com might still be a thing. You could piece all of it together individually, but the savings is minimum.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 2013 F-250 with a CNG conversion on it. It is a WING conversion.
I love it when I fill up and cng is $2.08 a gallon as of last week.
I get 12.4 MPG on regular gas and 16.8 MPG with CNG.
I like it so much I am going to convert my 428 Galaxie to run it.
Now on the older models the way ir works is you need to program in your tune. Not that hard to do if you have tuned EFI systems before or you can hire someone to tune it for you. Cost around $500.00 for the tune.
You cannot tell when the car switches from gas to CNG and the car seems to run better.
By the way CNG is 140 octane.
Greg

·
Registered
154 Posts
Researched this perty good and the 2 small tanks in the trunk weight is 85 lb's. Hold 16 gallons which is enough for what I am useing the car for.
When it runs out of CNG it automaticaly switches to your gas tank untill you can fill it up.
I can put up with the extra weight as I have enough power not to worry about it much.
The Galaxie is just a fun car and not a racer or a daily driver. I wouldn't even put a heater in if I didn't need a defroster for when the weather change's.
Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts