460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 460 and C6 automatic transmission, 2wd. I noticed my variable speed sensor (VSS) harness is hanging loose in my engine compartment, probably because I don't have cruise control on my truck. I checked the fuses that Haynes pointed out for the speedometer (8 and 18), both fuses are still good. I noticed some of the insulation on my speedometer cable wore out overtime and you can feel the brushed wire casing near one of the bends. I'm suspecting maybe some fluid went through the cable itself near the bend in the cable; and any fluid residue that built up inside the cable is keeping the cable from rotating? My engine and transmission shift just fine and the truck starts up just fine, and I have a new 95-inch-long speedometer cable on order from NAPA. I need some tips, for I have not faced this issue and I have driven this truck a little less than 20,000 miles since I have owned it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When replacing the cable,you might want to check the condition of the driven speedo gear in the trans.Easy to do if you're already under the truck.
It seems Napa doesn't have the speedometer cable lube in their stores, I wonder if there's something else that might help. I will be curious about the speedometer gear as well, by the time I get to unassembling each end and seeing how the teeth look, etc. For I believe the speedometer cable works with the gear to enable the odometer to move forward.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It seems Napa doesn't have the speedometer cable lube in their stores, I wonder if there's something else that might help.
I don't have the 1986 Ford truck shop manual. The 1976 Ford truck shop manual recommended the use of a light application of cable lubricant B5AZ-19581-A after cleaning the cable. On my F-250 I used a light multipurpose grease. It worked well. The manual says don't put too much grease. Also, be sure there are no sharp bends in the cable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have the 1986 Ford truck shop manual. The 1976 Ford truck shop manual recommended the use of a light application of cable lubricant B5AZ-19581-A after cleaning the cable. On my F-250 I used a light multipurpose grease. It worked well. The manual says don't put too much grease. Also, be sure there are no sharp bends in the cable.
I was thinking that I might get one of those dry graphite spray cans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.