460 Ford Forum banner

1988 460 Mach 1

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  1972Mach1 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I just purchased a 1988 460 out of a camper with the intent of putting it in a 1972 Mach 1. My question is do any of you know what oil pan I should run ? This is a mild build so I really just want a stock looking pan . I know they put 429s in mustangs in 1971 but didn’t know if there was any other models that I could use ? Second question is do you know anyone making center bolt valve covers in the aftermarket? I haven’t tracked any down yet!!
Thanks

#2 ·
#5 ·
You will also need the three piece motor mounts for the 71 429. The mustang supply houses carry them, They aren't cheap. If you are looking for headers the FPA mid-length fit pretty well. I don't know if you will be able to use the accessory drive system from the 88. I changed mine out to 71 style brackets and pulleys. I was able to use the stock cleveland radiator and fan shroud with a little minor surgery. The stock fan can be used but you will have to drill the pilot hole out to 3/4" as the cleveland water pump has a 5/8" shaft and go to a shorter spacer. What trans are you planning on using?

#6 ·
You will also need the three piece motor mounts for the 71 429. The mustang supply houses carry them, They aren't cheap. If you are looking for headers the FPA mid-length fit pretty well. I don't know if you will be able to use the accessory drive system from the 88. I changed mine out to 71 style brackets and pulleys. I was able to use the stock cleveland radiator and fan shroud with a little minor surgery. The stock fan can be used but you will have to drill the pilot hole out to 3/4" as the cleveland water pump has a 5/8" shaft and go to a shorter spacer. What trans are you planning on using?

#9 ·
Lots of ways to skin a cat, but here's my build of a 552 into my '72. Still going strong, have 20,000+ miles on it and has never missed a beat since I finally got it "done" after all the little niggles and issues. Stock pan fits great, only thing I'd do different is I'd get the FPA shorty headers instead of the Crites. I pretty much have fabbed up my own headers using their flanges after smashing them repeatedly.

https://www.460ford.com/forum/45-car-buildup-forum/155850-my-mach-1-552-couple-pics-my-truck.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.