460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first post here, (or is it a thread?) so I have no idea how to work this site, or even if I posted in the right spot. Anyway, I just bought a '88 F-250 auto, EFI, 4 wheel drive, single cab long box. I want to build the engine up a bit, I'm not looking to make a 10 second truck, I just want a real brute for pulling. I do a lot of wood cutting with a buddy who has a small block chevy with a cam and headers who thinks hes got all the power in the world and that big blocks aren't good for anything but boat anchors. So basically, I want something to show him up in. I want to run pump gas as this will be my daily driver. This is my first build so I don't want to go to crazy.

All I ask of this build is to:
run on pump gas
be able to pull with the best of them
be reliable
be fairly cheap
and be able to withstand the cold northern Wisconsin winters (-40f or lower at times)

What is a good place to start? how much power will the stock efi system be able to handle? would I be better off throwing a big fat carb on it? What does this engine have going for it and what are the weak points that need to go?
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
tuneup

This is my first post here, (or is it a thread?) so I have no idea how to work this site, or even if I posted in the right spot. Anyway, I just bought a '88 F-250 auto, EFI, 4 wheel drive, single cab long box. I want to build the engine up a bit, I'm not looking to make a 10 second truck, I just want a real brute for pulling. I do a lot of wood cutting with a buddy who has a small block chevy with a cam and headers who thinks hes got all the power in the world and that big blocks aren't good for anything but boat anchors. So basically, I want something to show him up in. I want to run pump gas as this will be my daily driver. This is my first build so I don't want to go to crazy.

All I ask of this build is to:
run on pump gas
be able to pull with the best of them
be reliable
be fairly cheap
and be able to withstand the cold northern Wisconsin winters (-40f or lower at times)

What is a good place to start? how much power will the stock efi system be able to handle? would I be better off throwing a big fat carb on it? What does this engine have going for it and what are the weak points that need to go?
Thanks for any help!
Put in a good t-chain set/distributor/plugs/wires, up grade fuel sys and timing
and run best oil and gas..
The 460 doesn't need pistons and rods etc... to run strong .I've rebuilt two w/cam/carb mods
and they both were formidable challenges on the street.........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts