460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my second go-around of installing the timing cover. I noticed the first attempt, the crankshaft oil seal in the timing cover was off center - shifted up, which left a gap. This time, I am test-fitting it without any gaskets in place (the timing cover to oil pan gasket will shift the timing cover even further up on the engine block). It seems that the curvature of the bottom of the timing cover is incorrect when trying to fit it into the oil pan (see photo below). The curvature is too deep, which results in being able to "rock" the cover back and forth over the low point. The gaskets can fill in the gaps, which doesn't have me worried. However, the timing cover crankshaft seal is already too high, without any fitted oil pan gasket. When I install the spacer - even without a gasket - you can see the gap in the photo below. I do have an oil slinger I'm using, however, I'm concerned that the gap here is too large, and that the rotation of the crankshaft is going to wear down the bottom of this seal. Because of the shape of the timing cover, no amount of repositioning fixes the gap.

My questions are - how problematic is this? I don't feel comfortable with it, but perhaps there is really nothing to worry about here. I got the timing cover from RockAuto, which was supposed to be fitted to this engine. It seems like the right part - just that the oil pan contact is off. Is this something that needs to be machined down so that the crankshaft oil seal fits better? If this could be avoided, I'd be ecstatic, but I'd rather do it right than have to do it a third time.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
524 Posts
FWIW, I had issues with an aftermarket timing cover on my '71 block and front sump pan, Pioneer brand timing cover, IIRC.I ended up omitting the neoprene seal that installs in the lower groove of timing cover as well as the two small cork gaskets, one on each side where the TC meets block and oil pan. I used a generous bead of silicone so I could center the crankshaft harmonic balancer sleeve's oil seal in TC, I tried it every-which way and finally ended up doing the above. Hasn't given me any issues and that was about 4 or 5 years ago. The most important thing is centering the crankshaft seal to crankshaft harmonic spacer. Not sure if all the aftermarket TC's are like this. Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FWIW, I had issues with an aftermarket timing cover on my '71 block and front sump pan, Pioneer brand timing cover, IIRC.I ended up omitting the neoprene seal that installs in the lower groove of timing cover as well as the two small cork gaskets, one on each side where the TC meets block and oil pan. I used a generous bead of silicone so I could center the crankshaft harmonic balancer sleeve's oil seal in TC, I tried it every-which way and finally ended up doing the above. Hasn't given me any issues and that was about 4 or 5 years ago. The most important thing is centering the crankshaft seal to crankshaft harmonic spacer. Not sure if all the aftermarket TC's are like this. Hope this helps
I meant to reply awhile ago - thanks for the tip. I machined down the bottom curvature of the TC and got it to fit much nicely. Applied generous RTV sealant along the oil pan, and tightened down. Managed to get everything together, and it runs - I've only had it running a few times due to another issue, but I have not noticed any leakage there.

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts