460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving into Denver on the worst highway in the United States. Potholes so bad it knocked an ignition wire off a plug. THAT isn't what brought the old girl to a halt, though.

Motor started running alternately balky, then normal. Thinking fuel pumps or an ignition issue, but it kept going; ran well, then poorly, back and forth. Coming up the last hill before the big ride down into town, 300 yards from the summit, BAM. Dead as a doornail. Made it to the side. Cranked fine but no go. AAA flatbedded it into town.

We spent a couple days replacing the ignition module, cap, rotor and a new set of wires and a new fuel regulator. All good, since it was a new truck to me and now no worries about any of that. BUT, still no start. So, thinking hard, we pulled the cap, cranked it and voila', rotor wasn't turning. Pulled the distributor and sure enough, the roll pin had sheared off. Turns out, it was a junkyard distributor and someone had drilled a second pin into the shaft and gear. As I say, it was a new truck to me.

$116 bucks and thirty minutes later, she was purring like a kitten. Love this truck.

20201016_112939.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
reman distributor with a cheap roll pin and questionable press fit.

We use the motorcraft remans for the EFI engines we build.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had that problem on a 351C in a 70Ttorino. I got to where I carried 9 or 10 extra pins in the glove box even though I never needed another one.
Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wonder if a short piece of piano wire cut to size would make a good reinforcement. It's got great tensile strength, so why wouldn't it work?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts