460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day on the way home from work my truck started bucking and died and never started back up. Turned out to be the injectors not getting ground from the EEC. I threw in a new EEC and now it starts up fine, but it won't idle right. it runs a little bit better with the spout connector unplugged but not by much. If I get it to1,500-2,000 RPM it'll run fine and smooth but if I let it sit the tach will go from 0-1000 sporadically and sometimes it'll die. When the RPM's drop so does the dome light and dash lights. Any ideas on what to check?

Fuel pressure is in spec. New rail fuel pump, new FPR, new fuel filter.
Distributor is newish (bought it about 4 months ago) plugs are new, wires are new, coil is new.
MAP sensor is new, battery is charged and terminals are tight, EEC is new, cleaned the IAC about 2 months ago, And timing is good.

only code I could get is 67 KOEO and I couldnt get anything from KOER because the check engine dash light cuts out when the RPMs drop.
When I checked the timing it would flash at 10* but when the RPM's drop the timing light doesn't flash..

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
30 Posts
Just a wild guess, but I'd start checking all your grounds... There should be 2 grounds coming off your battery, a big one and a small one for the ECU, check the ground from the block and the one from the intake manifold, also check the one from the ECU to ground.. I'd bet a dime to a dozen donuts you've got a ground issue somewhere.. 9 times out of 10 when you start having ECU or electrical issues on one of our beloved Ford's you can trace it out to a bad ground somewhere..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check for loose/floppy tip on dist. rotor... Saved a few bucks on a tune up once and the tip fell off during the second drive... Threw about $300 at it before I found that.... Worth looking at anyway...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts