460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Is there a thread on improving the 89 460 efi engine- breath better- cam-etc. My son and I are building his first truck. He needs to pull a trailer and push snow in the winter. He chose a decent old 89 ford with a 5 speed. I would like to recam the engine and remove all the smog stuff. we already plan on a new set of headers and exhaust. Any other advice is welcome. We will be putting in new gas tank so I was considering a swap back to a 4 barrel intake and carb.... trying to get a good direction of what to do for right now thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Go with a good set of long tube headers, Y pipe and 3 1/2" beyond the Y pipe. You will be surprised at how that wakes up the ol EFI 460.
If that don't give you what you want, then it's time to get greasy. The "smog stuff" is not an issue. Leave it alone. The ECM is programed to use the EGR and advance the timing as the EGR valve opens.
The AIR blows fresh air in the exhaust gasses and has no effect on performance.

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
This engine is so new that the "smog stuff" isn't really there, it's modern day emissions controls that doesn't harm anything, just improves mileage and emissions. Leave it intact. No way I would go for a carb, it's like going from a smartphone back to one with buttons. :p

Headers and nice exhaust should do a lot. Problem with many cams is that low-end power suffers to get a bit more in the high-end, which is not something you'd want on the street or in a truck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts