460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum and I've had a 1990 E250 van with a 460/E4OD for about 8 years now and it's been a great workhorse. It gets 10-11 MPG empty, loaded, towing a trailer with a race car on it... the 460 doesn't care. I call it the "Honeybadger of engines!" But now- I have a chance to buy a 1995 Ford based RV with a stroker 460 in it for dirt cheap; hoping to pull the stroker out and put it in my van but was wondering if there are major differences from 1990-1995 that I should be aware of?

First off, I'm in California so I have to make sure that I can smog it. The RV does pass smog and has a catalytic converter and I'll be checking the emissions results to make sure the numbers are good enough to pass in the limitations that my van has to pass within. If that's all good, we move on to the physical and electrical swap questions:

The engine block and transmission should all physically bolt up the same, correct? I guess without knowing any better, I'm mostly worried about differences in the engine management ECU, intake differences if any, and other things I'm not thinking about that I just don't know about. If the RV was 1990 I'd bet good money that everything would swap over no problem but being a 1995 chassis and the newer body style, I'm worried that the engine management and other things may have changed making this "cheap" stroker engine more of a hassle than it's worth.

Hoping that I can grab this stroker engine (still not sure of exact displacement) and drop it in my van and have a hot rod van! 馃槑 (If not, maybe I'll have to buy a triple black 1972 Lincoln Continental to drop it in since I've always wanted one!) I've attached a pic of my van parked next to someone else's Challenger for those that like vans... I don't have a lot of glamour shots of my van, as you might imagine! 馃槣 Thank you all!

Registered
Is that stroker still EFI? You can usually get by with 500" + or - with the stock EEC-IV. After that an add on tuner will be necessary to clean up the emissions. I have a TwEECer on my 95 EFI 528 stroker motorhome. I paid the designer/builder to write the tune. It can be quite involved. Another tuner on the market is Quarterhorse. But Quarterhorse only makes the hardware and others write the software for writing the tune. I believe it was 95 when Ford moved some diodes from the E4OD's electronic valve body to the ECM. So be aware, you can not mix and match those parts.

Registered
Be careful with the stroker, buy an air fuel gauge, or lights ,. The 24 injectors they come with are right on the edge with stock ecu. You would be scared if you check the air fuel ratio on your regular van now. The problem comes in when you add more weight, like a dump truck, motor home, tow truck, the 24 pound injectors are all done with stock ecu.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts