460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1993 Mustang. It has a Flaming River manual rack in it along with their steering linkage that connects the steering column. The car still has the stock steering column & steering wheel however. I'd really like to install a removeable steering wheel to ease the trauma of trying to get in and out of it. What are you guys using out there for this? Will the stock steering column do OK with a welded steering wheel release hub on it? Or is there something else out there?? Let me know how you have solved this problem if you are one of the guys that has forged this ground ahead of me. I don't want to reinvent the (steering) wheel. Pun intended!!

Thanks in advance for the help guys!!

See below. How ugly is that??

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are sticking to race only check out this Holcomb unit.

http://shop.holcombmotorsports.com/product.sc?productId=2960&categoryId=8
I appreciate you posting the link. I saw on that page the quick release steering wheel hub. That is what I really need but wasn't sure what they were called. I'm going to try to use my stock steering column after I get all the crap off of it to save the $200 bucks. Hopefully I will be able to do that but time will tell. The quick release hub and a new steering wheel is what I really need. I tried to get the stock steering wheel off the steering shaft this afternoon but I quickly found out that I'll need some kind of steering wheel puller to do it. It is always something...

Thanks for the link and the advice guys! It's most appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
a friend of mine did it and I believe it was a tilt column...no issues, the only thing worse than that red wheel was the all blue one...can't believe Ford OK'd that idea

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a friend of mine did it and I believe it was a tilt column...no issues, the only thing worse than that red wheel was the all blue one...can't believe Ford OK'd that idea
Yep I know.. That red is ugly. The dashboard was the same red color but I got a rattle can full of vinyl dye and let it rip. It turned out decent.

Anybody know what the shaft diameter of the 1993 Mustang steering column is? I'm thinking it is 3/4's but I'm not sure. When looking at Summit Racing Grant makes a quick release steering wheel hub made specificly for my 1993 car but it is $155 bucks that bolts on. They make one for $115 bucks that welds on. They say it is for a Ford and it fits 3/4 inch shaft. You have to weld that one on but so what... I have a welder.

I got a steering wheel puller from Autozone today but haven't got out there to use it yet. Otherwise I'd just measure it myself.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got the steering wheel off this evening. I can't really tell what the shaft is. The part the steering wheel slid over was not splined and it was kind of square with rounded corners. It was not a circular shaft. Maybe that is why they have the steering wheel quick release hub for that specific year, make and model.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ingenuity, welder, plasma cutter...make it what you want
I think I'm going to have to... It measured .68 in diameter at the outter most edges. I think I'll get the one for the 3/4 shaft and make it work. I see no reason to pay $40 extra bucks for the one made specifically for the 1993 Mustang

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts