460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a 1994 Holiday Rambler Endeaver LE Motorhome on an F53 chassis. Does one ECU handle the engine and transmission? Any idea where it might be located on this motorhome? I'm looking to buy it from the gentleman who said about 2 weeks after the last time he drove it, it would crank but not start. It has fuel pressure on the rails. I will be checking for spark when I go to look at it. I want to hear it run before buying it.

·
Banned
160 Posts
The EEC-IV does handle both the engine and transmission. It is located in front of the steering column, close to the floor.
The ECU pulses the 5 volt ground side of the injector. +5 volts on all the time the key is on. Injector is 24 lbs per hour, 14.4 ohm coil.
Some Items of failure are, Thin Film Ignition module, mounted on left side of fire wall (outside). on a heat sink.
PIP sensor in distributor.Don't hear much about coil failure.
Fuel pressure at cranking will be about 40#. Then drop to about 32# at idle.

Richard
95 F53 460

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RLS7201
Thanks for the response. That gives me a few things to check. The owner said the leveling jacks stopped working at the same time. Do you know if there are any common things between the jacks and the coach running that I might check? Where to check to verify the EEC is getting voltage to run, etc?

·
Banned
160 Posts
No anti-theft chip.
The jacks should be independent of the engine electrical.
It looks like I was wrong about the injectors firing at 5 volts.
Here is a pin out of the EEC-IV.
EEC-IV pin out
Just to make sure you have a 94 chassis. The 94 and back F53 did not have a tach. 95 and later did have a tach.

Richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Richard,
The pin-outs will be such a big help. Since I don't have a full wiring diagram, (referring to pins 37 & 57, both labeled "ignition power") do you know if one pin RECEIVES 12v power from the key switch telling to ECM we're starting the motor and the other pin SENDS 12V out to the ignition coil or ignition module? Any idea which is which? Or, do they both get a 12V feed when starting/running the engine?

As for the pulsed injector feeds, injectors in the GM EFIs that I've worked on have constant 12V all the time when starting/running with the ECU pulsing the negative side to the injector. SInce this pin-out says "12V injector open" do the injectors have ground full time with +12V pulsed for the injectors to fire?

Know where I can find full wiring diagrams?
Thanks again, Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
The EEC-IV does handle both the engine and transmission. It is located in front of the steering column, close to the floor.
The ECU pulses the 5 volt ground side of the injector. +5 volts on all the time the key is on. Injector is 24 lbs per hour, 14.4 ohm coil.
Some Items of failure are, Thin Film Ignition module, mounted on left side of fire wall (outside). on a heat sink.
PIP sensor in distributor.Don't hear much about coil failure.
Fuel pressure at cranking will be about 40#. Then drop to about 32# at idle.

Richard
95 F53 460
Hi Richard,

This is ReneTampaBay , from the IRV2 forum, 1994 Ford F53 Chassis Coachmen that won't accelerate when you press on the gas pedal, runs fine at idel and will run okay if you lightly press on the gas , you can coast along at 35 or 40 by lightly pressing the gas pedal , but the moment you need acceleration it freezes and sometimes you will hear a back fire coming from the dog house, I replaced the Thin Film Module you mentioned but it didn't fix the problem , I'm thinking the PIP sensor in the distributor I haven't tried that yet , I see that you mentioned it here on this post , I haven't tried that because you didn't mention that one on the IRV2 reply, maybe I should go ahead and try that, what do you think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts