460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 F150 (4.6L V8) that my wife wrecked, it ran fine before the accident, I'm trying to get it started before I sell it. At any rate I put in a good battery and it turns over just fine, but doesn't seem to want to fire, is there anything that shuts down the system on these newer cars after a wreck, or should I be looking for a connector that got kicked loose, or possibly a bad fuse or relay of some type. If it matters both air bags did go off.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I may have found my answer, these newer vehicles have a fuel shutoff switch that is tripped in the event of an accident. Hopefully resetting it will enable the fuel pump again. If there's anything else anyone can think of, please mention it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Try looking for the fuel pump inertia switch, it's made to kick
off incase of a wreck. I'm not sure where it is on that truck but
maybe if you have the owners manual it will tell you where.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Havinfun, I found the switch above the passenger kick panel, reset it and it fired right up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good to here it was easy. Wonder if one of those switches could be
rigged into race cars or hot rods incase of accident it would make
it a littel safer but very hard launching cars may just pop it.
Any thoughts or comments???? Anyone?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Yep

ByronRACE said:
I have one wired in my cobra on the primary side of the fuel pump relay so when I crash and die my corpse won't get too crispy.
I'm probably a little late for the die young and leave a good looking corpse mindset for the racecar.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
How's this for a last wish?.......I told my wife that when I go, they can pack my ashes in the parachute on my race car. My best friends can draw staws to see who makes the pass and dumps the 'chute. That way they can clean up the track after me one more time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts