460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My moms 2000 Ford Expedition has gone crazy and I'm trying to save money by trying to fix it without having to take it to a dealer. Here's whats going on. With the ignition off and key out it will engage the starter and turn the motor over randomly, radio comes on and off by itself, dome lights come on and off by themself, odometer goes off and on by itself, chime indicator comes on and off randomly, this stuff just started last week for no apparent reason. I replaced the ignition switch but it didn't change anything. No check engine lights either. I'm not a wiring guy so I have no idea what to look for so if you have any ideas please HELP! Thanks in advance! Chris

·
Registered
133 Posts
sorry you will have to take it to the dealer.

There is is a TSB for this concern. What has happened is the front windshield has developed a leak. The water has entered the cab and has leaked down on to the fuse panel/GEM module.

The repair is replacement of the front windshield and of the GEM module/fuse panel. The module will have to be programmed by use of a WDS which is generally no longer supported by ford. So it will have to be reprogrammed with a PDS or IDS. I have seen the GEM modules so badly damaged by the water that they need to be reprogrammed with "as built data". This information is only available on Ford's QCdealer web site.

Save your money, save yourself the headaches don't put any more parts on the truck and go see the dealer.

Hopefully, what ever type of tech that is left at the dealer will have enough brains to run an OASIS on the truck to find the TSB. If I can remember it off the top of my head, hopefully the dealer will have enough brains to run an OASIS to find this info.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
You can replace the Gem and or fuse box yourself, first look for signs of water intrusion, then go from there. Dont forget to have the windsheild resealed. Common problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts