460 Ford Forum banner

41 - 60 of 431 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Looks great , was the cage prenotched or did you have to do it all yourself ? I am sure there was some trimming but , I wonder if it was closer than my jegs kit I used in my 86 .

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yes it was notched on one end but when I told him what I was going to do he made the bars alittle longer so I could costume fit them the way I wanted them but it turned out they could have been shorter with me lowering the cab. I have no complates on them and they are very affordable and answered all my ?s I had and he told me how he was going to do them

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Got the front end bolted back I had to notch the grill alittle on the back side for it to fit around the front bars it would have been fine if I hadn't lowered the cab.The front bumper was the hardest had to drop the brackets the hold the bumper on, getting them lined up and getting it tack for I could weld it.I can have the front clip off in less than 5 mins.4 hood bolts, 8 fender bolts and 4 bumper bolts and set it off. The bumper the way I got it set up it don't have to come off to take the fenders and grill off the truck.It only takes a 5/16 ,two 1/2s for the fenders and grill, 17mm for bumper.On the carb I can run a 1" spacer if I need to with a 1" spacer I will have only 1/2" to 3/4" to the hood clearance, rad has about 1" clearance on it.Heres some pics.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Lookin good!! All that engine setback is really helping you out with carb clearance.

Bill

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Looking great cant wait to see how you route the headers , because of the way I made mine 3/4 length I ended up with 2 tubes left over after I was done . I will give you a little advice , my flanges were warped even before welding so I have cut the flanges between each cylinder to keep from blowing gaskets . I talked to a couple people about it and they said there is really no way to avoid the warpage and said that they always end up cutting the flanges .

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
When welding on the flang you can only weld about 1/4" and let it cool and keep doning it that way that way it want build alot of heat and warp I have bought new sets before and had to cut to make everything line up right. The flangs that came with mine look good an strieght but they look to be made out of some cheap steel thou I don't mine cutting them if I have to.well let me get off here and get some more done on it going to try and fab up a frame to hold the skins off the bed with

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
It was my first set so I probably screwed up on them , but the flanges were warped on mine before I started . I figured I should put them on with the bow towards the heads and the outer ends would pull in with the bolts but they didnt . Thanks for the advice on welding them .

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Here are 2 pics of the skin off the bed, building brackets to hold them and the tailgate should make for some more weight loss and they are fiberglass not the rubber stuff they use on the dollys

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
I bet that thing is gonna be light as heck with all the weight you got rid of . I took about everything I could outta my 86 and only lost 400 pounds ;). Are you planning on aluminum sheeting for the floors ?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Yes the insides will alum.mill finish .050 on the floor and .030 every where else, dash will be alum made out of .030.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
alum sheet matel is the easy part I get it from work I can brake it at work my buddy has a bead roller was thinking .030 for the floor for wieght but i think .050 will hold up alittle better but it is almost twice as heavy but with all the wieght loss on it I don't think a extra 15# will hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
THANKS I haven't done anything in the last week or so been sick with the flu just getting over that hope to get some more done on it this weekend .just don't have any getty up and go yet

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Just got alittle update on the build got the skins hung and tailgate on got to do some more bracing then I will post up some pics maybe a little later this week I will finish the back boy it harder to get over the flu the older you get.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
.Heres some pics I'm not finished but thats I am going to do until I get the 4 link and rearend under it I still have to do some drilling holer to bolt it to the frame. I will be addins a couple more down the sides but don't want to get any in the way when we start doing the 4 link under it.I have 18" from fender lip to the frame at the top and 14" on the sides so i should be ok if I want to go big tires more than likely going 29"x10.5x15 0r a 30".The tailgate works good the way I got it mounted I wasn't sure if it was going to work right with out some more bracing but it works find the way I got it now.Time I finsh with the back it will way around 200# with the metal in the back .030 smooth alum.

41 - 60 of 431 Posts