460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, this is going to be a slow thread progress wise as I am in the planning stages atm. I will be gathering what I need for the build and will be hoping to get it done during my winter break during December.

So, the project. I have 1977 f100 with a 429v8 I swapped in about a decade ago when I got it as my first car at 16. I also have a 2006 mustang gt with 104k miles on it and the 4.6 v8 with a 5 speed manual. I started out by wanting to make the f100 a street/track truck, but after lots of debating and discussion with my dad, I want to just focus on keeping the looks vintage and making the powertrain reliable. It's a 2wd lwb so won't be using it for mudding or anything crazy. The mustang however, I want to make into something crazy and unique. I've seen a million different builds on the 4.6 and 5.0's but nothing really appeals to me as I'm not a fan of forced induction (just the daily driving sound isn't what gets me off).

So, with that being said, the plan is to stroke the 429 and put it into the mustang, while putting the 4.6 into the f100.

Now, I am hoping someone has done a 385 into the 05-09 mustang body style outside of a strictly drag car. I haven't seen any so if you have anybody I can bounce ideas off of and pick their brain/read a build thread please point me in that direction!

The 4.6 swap into the f100 I have nailed down, it won't be a big issue. The 429 into the mustang however, I am hoping to have some questions answered. I am hoping to make this a very comfortable weekend warrior type car that I can just hop into and drive wherever I want (aka I want to hopefully retain as much of the factory interior as possible. So, a few questions.

1. Does anyone know if it is possible to retain the chassis harness and tap into things such as the instrument cluster, a/c while removing the engine harness? (I may be able to do a standalone harness for the 4.6 on the 77 and retain the engine harness to tap into if need be). I am hoping to keep factory dash/instrument cluster/shifter location if possible so just trying to get an idea of what needs to be fabbed/planned ahead for.

2. The 429 weighs 100-150 pounds more than the 4.6. Do you guys think some stiff coilovers would be enough to compensate for the extra weight? I know it will affect handling, but will just be a cruiser and a straight line fun-haver if you will, so mostly just worried about ride height and not too much bouncing up and down.

3. I am debating on retaining the TR3650 but am also contemplating a c6 with an overdrive kit. Or other options? Suggestions/criticism here would be helpful. I am partial to keeping the manual but know it is going to be pricey to adapt it to the 429. Other good manual options that would fit the 429 better and put the shifter close-ish to stock location?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Everything else aside from the actual swap, I think the biggest hurdle here is going to be emissions. Depending on the state you live in, you're going to have a hard time getting a sticker on the 06 after a swap. Here in NH, our emissions test is simply plugging into the OBD port and checking for codes. Just some food for thought before you dig in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything else aside from the actual swap, I think the biggest hurdle here is going to be emissions. Depending on the state you live in, you're going to have a hard time getting a sticker on the 06 after a swap. Here in NH, our emissions test is simply plugging into the OBD port and checking for codes. Just some food for thought before you dig in.
Thank you for the heads up, definitely something I had to look into being I wanted it to be a daily driver. Luckily I am in Florida in a very small town so won't be an issue, so I am excited for the swap!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts