460 Ford Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Dyno Day Monday

Well , the fire ups went well in the shed , no embarissing mishaps so engine is out again and off to the Dyno on Monday. 120 litres of methanol , and 3 spare oil changes , for a heavy day or two to see if we can get any power out of this thing.
Looking at the results on here for the Boss 9 combo's , I hope I am pleasantly surprised , but cant see it making 1000hp. The dyno I am going to had a freind/competetors Chev 555 Smidt engine on it that came from the US with a 1050hp sheet , yet only made 924 on the Superflow Dyno. It went 7.24 @ 189mph in a 1800lb altered last weekend.I was hopeing to go faster than him in mine.
Similar dyno results with so called 900hp sprint car engines that only go 820hp, so it may just be a conservative dyno.
What will be it will be I suppose.
Will post the good or bad next week.

John.

·
Registered
41 Posts
John...i`ll be disappointed and surprised to see less than 1000 HP from your monster even on that (accurate) dyno , looking forward to seeing the result`s though.
Good luck with it.

Graham

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Dyno Flop

Well that was a waste of a day! Not really , just fealling a bit down.

Set up was 28 degrees , cam straight up at 112 , fat as on the injection ( 85 pill with 600 gears in the Waterman).

We used more water than fuel. The sleeves might still be a proud in the block and we have sprung water leaks to the oil . Hope thats it , because finding a casting fault will be much harder. Kept milking the oil every start up with only gentle pull to 5500, and after two pulls and pulling fuel out of it going to 105 pill , it was starting to get obvious. It was missing like a bi#ch and fouling plugs. We think the fouling might be from oil getting sucked into the intake ports through the rocker cover bolt holes that penetrate the ports. Changed ignitions , changed wires , changed plugs , changed oil ( 4 times at 10 litres a go ). With 28 degrees in it and the cam straight up , Geoff the dyno guy shut her down at 6000rpm , the highest rpm we got. 700hp and 720 ftlb at 5000 , 800hp and 710ft/lb at 6000. So torque was way down. Call it a day , strip it down and find our problems.

Bright side :) , nothing in the filter , didnt throw a rod , valve train clearences OK , so that should = no damage.

It lives to fight another day!!!

John

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well, we glued the engine back up , this time sealing the head gaskets to the block. Did a bench mount warm up prior to going off to the dyno , and guess what. Water in the oil again. Starting to get me stumped for answers.

Pulled the manifold , no leaks there. Left the heads on , built plates for the head water jackets with a water filler and air line fitting. Glued them on , filled the block and heads with water , put 10PSI into it and got a fan spray of water out of the valley.

The block is cracked just above one of the lifter bores. Poked it with a screw driver and it fell into the water jacket. Same on the next lifter bore and all the way down that side.

Clearencing the block for the ZBar lifters has left the wall in those locations paper thin. We milled about 150thou in that location to give the ZBar tie boss about 20 thou of clearence as the lifters would initially not fit in the block. Now its too thin. The other side is OK though , so it may be core shift in the casting. Brand new aluminium block and we are already welding patches into it.

This engine building has knobs on it . Again , appreciate what your builder sometimes has to go through , its a lot different to engine assembly!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Core shift on a brand new block???..Yep been there and done that.
Good luck with the repair`s , at least with aluminium you can weld on it.
No doubt you will get it sorted sooner not later......Graham

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Thanks guys,

the engine will be good when we get the bugs sorted on it.

I just think the engine knows the extent of pain I am going to inflict on it on the dyno , and its fighting back.

I will update again when we fix it .

Graham, you got any cams lying around , 292+ @50 and around the 800-820 lift mark? I wouldnt mind doing a setup with a larger cam to look at geometry etc.

John.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I might be way off course here, but why are the Z bars on your lifters facing the water jackets?? Aren't they supposed to be facing the other way? When I built my first roller engine, I thought the Z bars were supposed to face the water jackets, but wouldn't fit without clearancing the block on all four corner cylinders! I asked around, and found that they were supposed to be installed facing inward, been that way for several thousand miles, with no problems. Just my thoughts.

Wayne SAWDOFF) Pearce

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your in luck John , my cam spec`s are just about right on your money with the lift at 0.821 int and 0.783 exh and the duration at .050 is 286 int and 298 exh , better yet the cam is sitting on a bench at my brother`s workshop.
If you want to borrow it for a while leave a phone number or an email address and we can organise something.
My brother`s place is not far from Ian Jenkins shop.

Graham

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I might be way off course here, but why are the Z bars on your lifters facing the water jackets?? Aren't they supposed to be facing the other way? When I built my first roller engine, I thought the Z bars were supposed to face the water jackets, but wouldn't fit without clearancing the block on all four corner cylinders! I asked around, and found that they were supposed to be installed facing inward, been that way for several thousand miles, with no problems. Just my thoughts.

Wayne SAWDOFF) Pearce
X2
Rob

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Wayne/Rob,

all the lifters pointing to the centre is correct on a wedge head with a straight tie bar.

With the hemis valve angles , you have to have the intake towards the centre and the exhaust towards the block , and therefore a Z shaped tie bar between.

Lifter oil feeds are drilled to suit. Only with hemis , all the other heads are facing the valley.

Kaase , with the full on 800+ ci racing hemi use a Jessel keyway lifter that has no tie bar, and as such no clearencing. But they are like $2400 a set plus $1000 for the inserts fitted. Was too rich for me at the time , but now if you add up all the machine time , it would have been about the same and getting a much stronger lifter compared to my crowers.

Graham, yeh that would be great if you could drop the cam off at Ians. You can have a look at the block issue in real life. Home phone is 9272 6570.

John

·
Registered
41 Posts
No worries John i`ll give Ian a call on Sunday and if he plan`s to be home in the afternoon i`ll drop the cam over , i`ll do my best to stop neil and myself from drooling too much over your motor.

Graham

41 - 60 of 91 Posts