460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i am trying to decide between going 3 or 3.5 inch exhaust pipe,

the header is a 3.5inch collector,

do i want to reduce that to 3 inch or just run 3.5 all the way?

its a mild 466 build ina 3000lb 02 mustang with a manual trans

·
Registered
724 Posts
exhaust size

With your cubic inch/build you will run better with the 3", any bigger is overkill. Too big a pipe lets the exhaust cool with slows velosity, your low end torque will be greater with the smaller pipe.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm running a hooker header with 3.5" collector in a mild 466. I thought maybe some back pressure would be good, so I made back to back passes with open headers and then through a 3" reducer to a flowtech glass pack type muffler. Turns out the car ran .15 quicker with open headers.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have the option to run either 3 or 3.5 inch pypes prorace mufflers so i am trying to figure out what pipe to run

·
Registered
303 Posts
Most of the time you will be able to fit fulllength 3in tailpipes.I have not been able to get 3.5in to clear everything going over the axel.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Run 3.5" from the collectors to the mufflers (or to the x-pipe / crossover) and 3" from there back. The further the exhaust gets from the collector, the smaller the pipe can get without hurting power.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Run 3.5" from the collectors to the mufflers (or to the x-pipe / crossover) and 3" from there back. The further the exhaust gets from the collector, the smaller the pipe can get without hurting power.
X2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts