460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a distributor housing for a 302 fit in the bbf. i'm thinking about using a cam shaft position sensor and COP with my SEFI. but need to know if i can use the bbf dizzy shaft in a 302 dizzy housing. or just change the gears but i think that only works for the 351w.

or if i can't make that work i would like to know if yal think i could take the msd crank trigger bbf dizzy and hone a msd reluctor to go on the shaft then mount a msd magnectic pickup on the inside?

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
A 302 Ford has a smaller shaft, (it also uses only a 1/4" pump shaft, not a 5/16" hex shaft), than a 460 along with a smaller gear.

There are many dual-pickup distributors in the marketplace which will work. Most need a gear change.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Would the 460 efi dizzy work for you?
I was trying to stay away from the TFI module.

A 302 Ford has a smaller shaft said:
Thanks randy that what i needed to know.

I will be using a crank trigger (not the msd) for the crank signal but i still need a camshaft sensor. so I don't need a dual pickup distributor. if i can not go COP i'm just going to use a msd dizzy and break all the reluctor teeth but one. and that will give me my cam signal. BUT i was looking for something very compact, that is my main goal. the 8580 is really tall and IMO ugly.

·
Registered
584 Posts
a 302 dizzy wont fit a 460 no way,no how.the body is smaller as is the shaft.i've had the top out of few and you can change some of the parts out.if you have a couple of spare's pull the little pos ring out of the shaft,under the rotor,and see what's doable.:Dand i agree,the msd is ugly:D

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I was trying to stay away from the TFI module.

A 302 Ford has a smaller shaft said:
Thanks randy that what i needed to know.

I will be using a crank trigger (not the msd) for the crank signal but i still need a camshaft sensor. so I don't need a dual pickup distributor. if i can not go COP i'm just going to use a msd dizzy and break all the reluctor teeth but one. and that will give me my cam signal. BUT i was looking for something very compact, that is my main goal. the 8580 is really tall and IMO ugly.
In that case use a locked Duraspark distributor with only ONE lug on the reluctor wheel to signal #1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts