460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum here. I have a 1979 250 with a turbocharged 460. It has a c6 trans and with a 3500 stall converter and a B&M trans pack. First gear works fine but when going down the highway at 55 i noticed it seems like I have to keep giving it more throttle to keep going. When I give it throttle rapidly i can feel a slipping like vibration going on. I want to rebuild the tranny to freshen it up but was wondering if that high stall converter will cause this issue again or are the clutches just bad. I also noticed small metallic flakes on the dip stick when I checked the fluid level. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Sounds like you might have a bit more going on than just the torque converter.. Really need to get inside the trans and see what is going on..

As for converter , have is cut open and rebuilt by a reputable converter company. It would depend on what the converter was in the first place, was it specifically built for your motor ? Or and off the shelf generic? If the 2nd one then is your motor + turbo making good torque and blowing through the converter (As in making more torque than converter was designed to handle , hence = slip)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts