460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was elected to fix the 351 in an 86 bronco after three "respected" placed of business failed miserably. I thought the cam was shot we it was started and pulled off the trailer but both lifters on #2 could hold a gum ball at a 30* angle. It has a mystery solid cam and springs that will be replaced with a hydraulic. I need some help identifying this engine, D2AE-CA. Like the 385 X block this 351 has both X and Y cast into the front and rear valley, It does have the 4V heads but my main interest is in the exhaust manifolds that clear everything as if they were designed for the bronco. does anyone recognize them?

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Whats the bellhousing look like?351m has the 429-460 dimensions and the heads interchange with clevelands.(only seen 2v heads on em though)
Russ

·
Registered
15 Posts
According to my book, the D2AE-CA is a 351C cobra jet block, anywhere from 71-74. They aren't the 4 bolt main blocks but still good. The manifolds, I have no idea.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I'll check the manifolds for #'s. Being a CJ block Is it safe to assume the 4V heads are original to the block?

·
Registered
401 Posts
cj block should be 4-bolt. heads are open chamber big port,2v aussie heads would be a good improvement they are easy to find and cheap.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll check the manifolds for #'s. Being a CJ block Is it safe to assume the 4V heads are original to the block?
Date codes on both the heads and block would give a better idea if the block is original to the heads. I thought ya had to pull the pan to check for 4 bolt. Don't think there is a different # on the block for that.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
2 or 4 bolt makes zero difference in a Cleveland engine. Production blocks are all virtually identical and there are no real differences all are equivalent in strength and performance potential.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Does the heads have 4v stamped on 1 of the corners if they are 4v heads they will have a 4v stamped on a corner.I didn't see it in the pic some 2v heads have 2v stamped on them and some don't .The openings on the manifold look small to me to be 4v manifolds.The 2v exhaust manifold will not cover the exhaust port on a 4v head and a 2v header will not cover the port.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Definatly 4V Heads and manifolds. Dave, What then would be the benifit to having the 4 bolt? Resale or bragging rights? I'll find the date codes in the morning after my head clears up a bit. The engine was just rebuilt but I believe some kid went wild with the summit magazine and put way to big of a solid cam and triple springs on the heads, The owner stated it would not pull well untill about 4000 RPM's, Stands to reason with the 4V's and cam. I have the option to charge what I feel fit or take this engine on trade for replacing it with a 400M.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
IMHO i'd swap the 400 in.
Not just to get my dirty hands on the 351C w/4bbl heads, but its probably a better engine for the application. Unless the thing is supposed to run at wide open throttle through a mud pit.
To make the cleveland work properly you'd be putting some variety of 2bbl or aussie heads back on anyways, why not add some cubic inch too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts