460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is a bbf sight and there are 351w sights. But i trust your opinion.

I am tossing around building my windsor up a little more, untill i get the 557. What heads are good on those engines?
11.5:1 comp. comp cam 292 h magnum. (or a custom grind) Alot of pro street action with a couple 1/4 passes.
The 557 will have a set of tfs a's from kentucky when im ready.

Thanks Dave

·
Registered
95 Posts
The AFRs are good. I don't know what heads you have now, but I've seen new FRPP Y303 (the older aluminum heads) advertised new for less than $800/pair complete. If you've just got some ported stockers, these would be an economical step up. I had a friend who had a set of ported Edelbrock Performers (not RPMs) on a 377 that ran well, but they're comparable in price to the AFRs.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Too Many Choices !!!

Dave,

For the small block there are too many choices, so many that I don't know where to even begin. You are going to have to do your homework on this one!

From Trick Flow you've got three heads; the Twisted Wedge, the Track Heat and the High Port heads.

From Jegs, you've got the Kaase small block head, and one that they call SB Ford alum. head that looks like a conventional iron head but is alum.

From the Racing Head Service division of Comp Cams you've got the SB Ford alum. Cyclone head. RHS bought out one of the Aussie companies is my understanding and I never could keep up with the names. Pro Topline, Pro Action, Pro One or something like that.

Then you've got the afore mentioned AFR heads.

Then in the Edelbrock family you have the Victor Jr, the Performer and the Performer RPM heads.

I'm sure I have forgotten somebody like Canfield, World Products or so, but you get my point. You are going to have to decide what you want and then go on-line and study the info they give in order to decide what best suites you.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i was going through jegs and summit. there definately are alot of choices. I think i may give the tfs a try. Ill try to find some user comparisons. hate to waste money on such a small engine, but cant afford to build the bbf the way i want to. until the bottom is bullet proof (lol) i wont put goodies on top.

Thanks for the info guys, and yes they are 1970 stockers, other than hardened seats.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Might talk to Ed Curtis at http://www.flowtechinduction.com/ and see what he says. I went with the AFR's over TFS because of the thicker deck and the flow numbers were the same as the TFS, but with a smaller intake valve.. but mine are for a daily driver..

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mr. Evans, and others

Charlie do you think the pre assembled heads are ok? Or do you set up small block heads like you do with the bb. also do you have an opinion on the comp cams retro fit roller lifters. This vehicle will se about 30 miles one way to work. all highway, but alot of cruise inns.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ran a set of out of the box Edel. Perf. R.P.M. with flat tops and a Comp XE294H cam. Had Good luck with that Combo in a 351w. Ran [email protected] Car was right at 2700 pounds. 85 Mustang. Make sure you upgrade to 7/16 studs because the 3/8 studs suck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
One that was not mentioned was the TrickFlow Hi Ports. To my understanding, these are an almost exact copy of the old Wil Burt Street Heats. I haven't talked to anyone that have used a set of the new ones, but I've talked to several who still use the original Street Heats and love them. They require a custom header and adjustable valvetrain, but are a great set of heads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts