460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be interested in one of the new forged 4340 steel BBF 4.5 cranks. What do you have and pricing? Anyone have any feedback on these pieces. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4.500 Crank

Thanks for the offer, but I can have one shipped to my door for that.
Thanks Jim

·
Registered
792 Posts
The proper response to that is simply to recommend that he purchase it from his low cost source.

It does not matter who is cheapest - that is a silly game to play and nobody really wins in the end because the cheapest guy usually goes out of business....

·
Registered
128 Posts
He's probably looking at the Hawks stuff on ebay. While I have no personal experience with the Hawks cranks I've seen several people mention that their tolerances aren't quite what they should be and they take more work to balance. So while you may save a hundred or so dollars on the crank you quite possibly will spend that (if not more) in machine work and balancing. To my knowledge all the 4340 cranks are using the same blanks right now but they don't all use the same shop to machine them. I waited 2 months on my backordered crank for this very reason, when I could have placed a bid and had one on my door step in a week. Just my 2 cents but sometimes you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4.500 Crank Info

Thanks for your response and info guys. I'm not playing games and not trying to win any contest. I know that these BBF 4340 cranks are relatively new on the market and like a lot of other pieces out there being imported from China. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they are all pretty much coming from the same source. It doesn't make sense to pay more from one vendor than another that has the same piece. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
169 Posts
Cheap?

Is the crank the best place to save money? Do you want to buy it from the absolutely cheapest source, if that someone won't stand behind a -CHEAP- crank. It's pretty cheap when you gotta get your new crank turned .010under!!! or spend an extra $300 getting it balanced

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4.500 Crank

Hey guys, I thought this would be "The Place" to get good input and good prices on the new 4.5 4340 cranks. I didn't realize it would cause some people to get bent out of shape. All I was asking for was information and pricing, not a scolding. Thanks Jim

D

·
0 Posts
I think what they are trying to say is the source for the forgings may be the same but some of them are machined here in the states and some are machined overseas. Generally the stuff machines overseas (Cheaper) does not have the same quality control as the items machined in the States (usualy a little more expensive). From my experiance Scat Seems to have alot better quality control than Eagle or Hawks............just an example.

Some times depending on your application domesticly machined & inspected cranks may offer more value but appear a little more expensive at purchase. IE easier to balance, no additional machining required, etc.

Just My Opinion......

·
Registered
792 Posts
Not really a scolding - but China is a very big place with more than one forging manufacturer.

It is evident on inspecting other cast and steel imported cranks that there are more than a single source - its too soon to say whether Scat's forged parts are from a different place yet or not since they are not shipping any of them yet... The fact that they are six months behind the off branded parts in hitting the market make me question the "same source" thought on these - - but maybe they're just that late...???

D

·
0 Posts
Barry_R said:
Not really a scolding - but China is a very big place with more than one forging manufacturer.

It is evident on inspecting other cast and steel imported cranks that there are more than a single source - its too soon to say whether Scat's forged parts are from a different place yet or not since they are not shipping any of them yet... The fact that they are six months behind the off branded parts in hitting the market make me question the "same source" thought on these - - but maybe they're just that late...???
I agree, but it does seem some of the "brands" have better quality control than others. Lets not forget some of this stuff is coming from India to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4.500 Crank

Just a note to say thanks to all the guys that offered good input. I have heard pretty much the same things from my local machinist of twenty years. note: I have purchased one of the new BBF 4.500 forged cranks and it should be here in the next couple days. Soon as it hits it's going straight to the machine shop for a through going over. I will post a update in a few days and let everyone know what my findings are. Thanks Jim

D

·
0 Posts
Keep us posted on what you find, I'm going to be in the market for a 4.3 stroker crank in the next few months and I'm a little gun-shy of the chinese stuff, but my budget is a little thin..............

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4.500 Crank

I received the 4.500 forged crank today and took in to the machine shop. After having my friend/machinist check over journal sizes, stroke and straightness, he gave it the nod. He also said if they all check out like this one did. It might not be a bad idea to pick up a couple more. I will post what happens when we move to balancing in a couple weeks. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
256 Posts
Re: 4.500 Crank

ford632 said:
I received the 4.500 forged crank today and took in to the machine shop. After having my friend/machinist check over journal sizes, stroke and straightness, he gave it the nod. He also said if they all check out like this one did. It might not be a bad idea to pick up a couple more. I will post what happens when we move to balancing in a couple weeks. Thanks Jim
Old thread, I know.

But what happened at the balancing shop?

And what name crank was it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I recived a forged crank about 6 mounts ago and it needed to be reground .010 in order to get it right also the radius was stock (this makes the crank weaker) I paid $70.00 to send it back ! I recived a Scat 4.5 forged last week it cost more I will be checking it this week and if good it go's off to be balanced I will post the results it looks like a different forging to me and it has the lounger radius on the mains and rods this crank is finished here in the USA and I belive it should be on size

1 - 20 of 24 Posts