460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before i place the order i'd like to ask you pro's!
-i have 38's on my truck, would like to run 42's or 44's for my next tire,
-i have a 10.25 rear and dana 60 front
-putting and auto trans in it after the next mud race with 2500 stall
-mild 460 under the hood
-and as far as wieght its a 77 long bed f150

but i'd like to be able to drive it on the road sometimes also with my 35's on so the cops leave me alone! (not interstate of course!)

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
That's a big stretch between tire sizes. In order to pull the "BIG" tires you need at least a 5.13 gear, which is too much for 35's.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Like critters said, the 5.13s are a lot of gear for a 35" tire, but I ran my big bronco with the 5.13s in it around on the road from time to time. I look at it that I want the best on the strip, I'll just compromise with how "road worthy" it is.
Its all up to where you want to compromise I guess, I'm in the middle of deciding the same thing with my little bronco, its a pig with the 4.11s in it, 5.13s would be great for running 300ft in the sand, but I sold the wife on the idea of taking this one on the street too, so I might just go with the 4.88s.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Im running 4.88s and they are about perfect. I run 39" boggers and 33" claws for pulling and i can drive both sets on the street and the truck drives fine. It tachs pretty good with the 33's but when you mash it, its gone. ;-) Also depending on what transfer case you have you can get away with a higher gear in the rears. The newer transfer cases have around a 2.4-2.5 low range where a NP205 has a 1.96 so in low with the newer cases you have a lower overall ratio.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Out of 4.56 and 4.88, I'd run 4.88s no doubt.

I have 37s and 4.56 gears in my bronco and it works. I wouldn't be conserned running 39s or 35s with the 4.56s.

If you want 44s, the question should be 4.88 or 5.13...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the math with road speed works out close to 5:13's, don't forget though the 44's will have way more traction, leverage and weight. One of the guys I race with uses 5:38's for his 44's with a mild motor and it moves pretty good (also divorced 205). It wouldn't be all that great with the 35's though, like driving around in four lo all day. I run 4:56's with 35's and my speedo matches a factory car. In lo range race mode works really well, I tried some 38's and it was probably just enough gear. I run 44's sometimes and don't have the power to turn em with 4:56s and an iron headed 521 especially when it gets deep. If you stay 38 or bigger don't go smaller than 4:88s imo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts