460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you clear a 4.75 stroke with alum. rods in a RDI BLock? Is there a rule of thumb for rod leangth?

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

Author Reply
Charlie Evans
(Login c.evans)
152.163.101.9 You'll Need To Do Some Serious Grinding
No score for this post December 5 2005, 6:50 PM

in order to make everything clear. Trial & error, trial & error, and more trial & error mock-ups will be required. The crank counterweights will probally hit the bottom of cylinder # 5 pretty bad. That cylinder seems to be longer than the other 7.

Shoot for a 6.76 /6.77 Mopar length alum. rod. The pin will be in the oil ring groove and almost into the second ring groove. Of course support rails will be required.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

Rick C
(Login spankyone)
209.107.249.233 4.75 crank in a RDI block
No score for this post December 6 2005, 6:17 PM

Charlie, when your talking about support rails, your talking about the oil ring? Who is more app to have the pistons I'm looking for,4.620. I had BME's in it ,, I have the a441a Hemi heads. Would you use the oil Ring spacer, or Buttons in the rist pin hole.
Thanks Rick

Charlie Evans
(Login c.evans)
64.12.117.9 Rick; Traditionally
No score for this post December 6 2005, 9:13 PM

the hot rod industry has used support rails in the naturally aspirated stuff and pin buttons in the blown stuff. The pin buttons may also have the nylon/teflon insets. It makes no difference to me.

Yes, I was speaking of the oil ring support rails.

As for pistons, you can go back with your BME, or any of the other manufacturers. Diamond has a good choice of BBF pistons now, BRC out of Florida has always had a good choice, and then of course JE's have a good choice of BBF pistons.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

Charlie S.
(Login DblAdigger)
71.109.239.93 I talked to several piston manufacturers at the PRI and
No score for this post December 9 2005, 8:08 PM

discovered that BME has the only dedicated internal forging die for BOSS pistons. All others use a die for sumfin else, wich causes them to weigh more due to the THICK under head lumps.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts