460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking through the information in here has got me wondering, before I send all my stuff to the machine shop to be put together should I buy and have machined a set of 4 bolt main caps? I have a DOVE block going to be a Bracket racing motor (532 13.4 ccr P-51 heads .690 lift) car weight is 3100 looking to go 10.50 area in Fox mustang.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
2 bolt blocks

Not a fan of the 2 bolt blocks ... there a dime a dozen ... and a lot out there racing ... once you start putting some power to them ... caps walk ! I was on the fence on this same question ... Decided to purchase a new A460 block from Ford Racing . When you build a house you start with a strong foundation ... just my opinion !

·
Registered
586 Posts
For a two bolt main block and the power your talking about making, you will be just fine with a two bolt engine! There good anywhere between 800-1000hp! They all cap walk from my understanding!

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
I have a 2 bolt myself with a good bit of HP. More than what you are going for. I've never had a problem. But with that being said I do plan on going with an A-460 block sometime in the near future simply for longevity and piece of mind. I say if you can afford it now then just do it. It could be money well spent if it saves the motor from breaking one day. Of course you will never know that it was going to break if you do it. So just consider the 4 bolt mains as a good insurance policy now rather than a much larger machine shop bill later... Hope that helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the reply's, I don't plan to place this on kill every time out, Just to have fun. on a 3200 lb Fox mustang I want to stay in the 10.0 -10.50 range.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
We've built a lot of 2-bolt block, 4.3 stroke engines to 750 hp. They have been running for years in all kinds of applications and scenarios, and we are not seeing issues with any of them that have come in for servicing.

Paul

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts