460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Your going to have to spend some more money to get that ready to run pretty rusty.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
No doubt has to be done its just this one for being nos is a little rough. Basically you are buying a block crank and rods.

·
Registered
948 Posts
That is a "stock" silent timing chain. I didn't say it wasn't "stock". That it is the "stock" regular production timing chain was my point. Why take a chance on those pieces of junk in a high performance engine like the Boss? They weren't any good in production engines.

I'd bet you good money those rods weren't the ones used in the Nascar race engines.The Nascar engines, If I remember right used tri beam rods with 1/2 rod bolts.

Judging from my knowledge and experience base, I am dissapointed that those two components are in that engine.

It's typical Ford engineering. Mismatched componentry that creates "weak links" in the chain. And usually it's 8000 rpm heads and 6500 rpm shortblocks.

I seemed to have hit a raw nerve with you. No need to insult me.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
another unknowledgable person?

cougar1969 said:
peganit said:
Why use a silent type timing chain on a motor like that? And 6000 rpm rods?

what are you talking about the timing chain is stock and I will have you know those rods will probably handle more than you can put them thru. those are originals Boss 429's they only ran Nascar for hours at a time @ WOT around 7000 to 8000 rpm for 300 to 500+ miles :roll:

Another unknowledgable person

Randy
Another unknowledgable person?
Randy, apparently your quite the big dog!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
A good friend of mine bought brand new in 1970 a boss 429 Mustang. After driving it for a few hunderd miles they modified the car for drag racing. As told by him, the original owner, that engine had stock type factory rods, not the "Nascar" type with 1/2" rod bolts. He had also bought a 2nd engine out of a wrecked B429 car and it too had stock type factory rods. Don't recall if he said they had the CJ (spot faced) or std. (broached)bolt setup, but one would think they would be "CJ".

If bidding on that short block, I'd ask any questions and not assume anything. If it even will matter to those who will be interested in such an piece.

Steve

·
Registered
105 Posts
Has anybody seen a set of iron boss heads? I made a mistake of not trading my 70 torino for a boss 429 with iron heads in peices. I learn alot from you girls arguing!

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
hankster83 said:
Has anybody seen a set of iron boss heads? I made a mistake of not trading my 70 torino for a boss 429 with iron heads in peices. I learn alot from you girls arguing!

Good entertainment!:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts