460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, first post. Probably won't have a lot to contribute as I am pretty green. I do have a project I want to do so appreciate any help.

Planning on getting a 69-70 Mustang. Don't have the car yet, will probably be a few months before I buy something. So for now I am just looking for ideas to see what it is going to cost and help me define my budget. I figured the engine is a good place to start. I plan to build the engine myself in the garage. I may have a local company help if it gets over my head.

Intended use - street-only, weekend driver, Good idle, good vacuum, not going to drag race or beat on it. Just want a lot of power when I step on it, like passing. Probably a 2500 to 5500-6000 RPM range, so max torque at 5000 or 5500.

Vehicle info - 69-70 Mustang - Probably convertible - Want to make Boss look alike - Automatic trans

Fuel desired to use - 87 pump gas

My dream would be the following. This would be ideal but not sure how feasible it is.

1 - 429 - possibly aluminum
2 - Fuel injected
3 - Hemi heads - if not too expensive
4 - distributor-less ignition - coil packs
5 - 500 - 550 HP

Proposed Budget - $10k

Location - Tucson AZ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, I'm doing a 71 mustang. 040 over 460, 500 bhp, 550 torque. The 69 /70 boss engineers were shoehornedto fit for making the engines legal for racing. 71 to 73 were designed by ford to fit the big block to run NASCAR, and people did. There is room to5.o change plugs install headers, add on's ect. The fastest 65 to 73 1/4 mile mustang, 71 429 super cobra jet with drag pack. Check out gone In 60 seconds original from 1977.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
You can build a 500hp 429 for 10k yourself easily. Hemi heads....not gonna happen. Fuel injection...got a lot of them out there, I'm gonna be using fitech only because I have asked lots of folks and consensus is fitech is good stuff, and affordable. If you want fuel rail Efi then your pushing your budget. Good aluminum heads, good intake, fitech, and the right cam you'll be right on top of your hp mark. If it was 480hp I'm sure you be happy.

Do you have the engine? If not then just build a 460. 31cubes makes it a bit easier to get over your 500hp goal. And torque to boot, torque is what puts you back in the seat. No replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been concidering a small block due to the tight fit but have decided to stick with the big block.

I want to put engine size on the fender of the car and 429 is the best option for that. 427 or 428 would also be ok but 460 makes me think of a truck, not cool. That is why I want to build a 429 over a 460. It may seem silly but I willing to give up a few HP for it.

Where is the best palce to get a block or short block? Junk yard? What do I look for?

My goal is 500 HP on 87 gas with a good idle, good vacuum and peek power at say 5500?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I got ya, understand that badging thing. I'm building a 552 and it's going on the side of my truck, haha.

Yeah, just check junk yards. Any block all the way from early to mid 90's will work. You can call a vendor here and get a 429 rotating assembly. I don't know what your budget is but some afr heads would be a good way to help easily achieve your hp craving. Could hunt down scj's and what not but that's iron heads, who wants that haha...your idle will be hard to get a sewing machine feel when going for that power lvl, but yeah, it'll be good, vacuum be fine and rpm range fine to. You want a long curve on your torque, big mid range, that's the fun stuff. Again, mad porter of Carsbycarl can help you select a cam for this. I personally give up on specing my own cam. A man needs countless hours and some deep pockets to understand cams and the effects of each variable. Real world testing ...the combinations are endless, let the guys who have the recipes just tell ya , haha. Unless you aspire to be one of them, then by all means get after it...ship done sailed for me, can't do it all. I'm sorry, just rambling here, good luck dude.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I want to put engine size on the fender of the car and 429 is the best option for that. 427 or 428 would also be ok but 460 makes me think of a truck, not cool. That is why I want to build a 429 over a 460. It may seem silly but I willing to give up a few HP for it.
It may seem silly to you but it is just plain ridiculous. Put any number you want on your fender but build a 460.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It may seem silly to you but it is just plain ridiculous. Put any number you want on your fender but build a 460.
Yep. Slap 429 on there all you want, nobody is going to know the difference between a 429, 460, or 545 looking at the engine under the hood, much less when looking at the car with the hood down.

Mine is getting 289 stickers on the air cleaner just for the laughs. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anything over 500 is also cool. Maybe a 502 or 521 or ???

I assume it would be easier to get a street-able 500 HP engine with the bigger displacement. Any opinions on the which size would be the best for what I am trying to achieve and not being cost prohibitive. Is there a big price difference in building a 429 or 460 vs 500+ stroker?

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Anything over 500 is also cool. Maybe a 502 or 521 or ???

I assume it would be easier to get a street-able 500 HP engine with the bigger displacement. Any opinions on the which size would be the best for what I am trying to achieve and not being cost prohibitive. Is there a big price difference in building a 429 or 460 vs 500+ stroker?
Building the 460 is the best budget way to your build. Find a good core for 300.00, set of diamond pistons custom made for afr heads800.00, 4-500.00 at machine shop, new oil pump100.00, close to 1700.00. A stroker kit alone is pushing 2k.

The key is good heads, say you get a stroker kit but then to save cash you drop a set of edelbrock heads on it. You would be shooting yourself in the face.

if your budget can handle the extra 1200.00 in stroker parts then do it. Of course fuel consumption will be worse but it's bad either way, haha.

Then you wouldn't even need a sticker of numerical value on your car, just put a sticker that says "strokin"...:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Built a 502 for my 1971 Thunderbird. Used the original 429 block, had the machine work done, Edlebrock power package for 502 & built it. Took great care in doing up the motor right. Had an AOD put in for overdrive. Put in the motor last after painting engine compartment. Ran vehicle on dyno with all accessories pulled 475hp at 4500rpm & 555tq at 3500rpm. Car looks great after a full restoration. It runs smooth as silk, great in traffic with no trace of overheating. On the road, my Bird runs very smooth & quiet & will get 24-27 mpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
The key is good heads, say you get a stroker kit but then to save cash you drop a set of edelbrock heads on it. You would be shooting yourself in the face.
Are Edelbrock heads that horrible? I figured any aftermarket alloy head would be better than stock, providing you didn't want to do a bunch of port work. Then there's weight, heat transfer, etc.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Built a 502 for my 1971 Thunderbird. Used the original 429 block, had the machine work done, Edlebrock power package for 502 & built it. Took great care in doing up the motor right. Had an AOD put in for overdrive. Put in the motor last after painting engine compartment. Ran vehicle on dyno with all accessories pulled 475hp at 4500rpm & 555tq at 3500rpm. Car looks great after a full restoration. It runs smooth as silk, great in traffic with no trace of overheating. On the road, my Bird runs very smooth & quiet & will get 24-27 mpg
24-27 combined? What gear are you running?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts