460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the Ford part number for the 429 CJ cast pistons? Do they have one valve relief, or two? Photos would be great, also. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,553 Posts
Does anyone have the Ford part number for the 429 CJ cast pistons? Do they have one valve relief, or two? Photos would be great, also. Thanks in advance.
The 429CJ pistons have just one valve relief and are essentially the TRW/Speed Pro L2366 piston, like this:

If the pistons are original and have two vavle reliefs, then they are industrial 460 pistons, like this:

Which are you looking at?

Paul

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
all cj,and scj pistons have 1valve pocket, 2 pockets (flat tops) are 68 and up thunderjet style pistons

cj are cast, scj pistons are forged, cj have a right,and a left cast on them, scj's do not

·
Registered
9 Posts
Paul, I read your post on 429 pistons and saw the photo of the 460's with 2 valve reliefs. I have not heard of the term Industrial before. I'm building a mild 460 now and would like to know what level these pistons will handle. I believe the motor I have is a 10.5 compression with c8ve-e heads. Does this seem correct? Thanks for your time. Carl

·
Premium Member
5,553 Posts
all cj,and scj pistons have 1valve pocket, 2 pockets (flat tops) are 68 and up thunderjet style pistons

cj are cast, scj pistons are forged, cj have a right,and a left cast on them, scj's do not
This is a good point, the passenger car (non SCJ) 429 engines have two valve reliefs in their flat top pistons.

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,553 Posts
Paul, I read your post on 429 pistons and saw the photo of the 460's with 2 valve reliefs. I have not heard of the term Industrial before. I'm building a mild 460 now and would like to know what level these pistons will handle. I believe the motor I have is a 10.5 compression with c8ve-e heads. Does this seem correct? Thanks for your time. Carl
The 460 industrial (or 460 marine) pistons have not been made for perhaps 15+ years. They were maufactured by TRW for Ford. They weigh about 992 grams with supplied pin and are not state-of-the-art by today's standards. being a forged piston, they can support lots of power...perhaps as much as a TRW L2404, or L2443, etc. since they were made by the same manufacturer, with the same material, durng the same era.

Paul

·
Registered
124 Posts
Pistons

Paul

I have a set of forged (scj) pistons & rods that check out good. Will they handle 4500 fpm like you would figure for newer parts or should I stay with the old 4000 fpm like stock parts?
Thanks for you time.

This is a motor for my son (he found my collection) and he want to see 6800-7000 rpm with the gearing in the truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Paul,
Thanks for the reply and piston photos. I have a '72 Galaxie 500 sedan that was built and sold in Los Angeles. Assembly month is October 1971 for the engine, and November for the car. The car was special ordered by the original purchaser with all the heavy duty options, cooling, charging, suspension, brakes, etc., including a 429 and 3.25 traction lock rear gear. It has 88,000 original miles. The block is a numbers matching D1VE 6015 AA. The last time I changed the oil, I looked inside the pan with a bore scope. The oil pan is not baffled. The block has the thick (CJ) webbing, and the rods are stamped DOOE A. I looked at the pistons through the spark plug holes. They are flat top with two valve reliefs. The heads are the open chamber passenger car D2VE castings. I have all the PI top end parts to install on the engine (D2OE heads, new hardened pushrods, D1AE PI intake manifold, air cleaner assembly, exhaust manifolds, etc.). I do not have the camshaft (D2OZ 6250 A) yet, although research shows it to be virtually identical to the Motorsport M6250 A460 grind. If I can't find an NOS PI cam, I will go with the Motorsport cam. My only question is this; will the 2.19 inch intake valves on the PI heads interfere with the Thunderjet pistons? I assume the valve relief is sized for the standard 2.08 inch intake valve. The relatively low .493" lift should not be high enough to interfere with anything, but I would like to get a second opinion. I have no reservations about installing CJ pistons if needed, but the engine runs perfect, has great oil pressure, and has no piston ring ridge. All cylinders still have the cross hatch pattern visible from top to bottom. Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone have SCJ trw piston standard, flat, dished, 1 valve relief
I have a set of Sealed Power / Speed Pro L2366f30 Forged Piston 429 CJ SCJ Ford Flat Top .030"+ 4.390" bore 3.590" stroke for sale. These are brand new and just taken out of the box for pictures. $350 + shipping. Please let me know if you are interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a set of Sealed Power / Speed Pro L2366f30 Forged Piston 429 CJ SCJ Ford Flat Top .030"+ 4.390" bore 3.590" stroke for sale. These are brand new and just taken out of the box for pictures. $350 + shipping. Please let me know if you are interested.
Thanks, Mine I'm looking for is a TRW, 429, SCJ, flat-top-recessed-1 valve inlet

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not putting together, mine are standard, trying to replace one
The 429CJ pistons have just one valve relief and are essentially the TRW/Speed Pro L2366 piston, like this:

If the pistons are original and have two vavle reliefs, then they are industrial 460 pistons, like this:

Which are you looking at?

Paul
Mine are like this, and are recessed,--TRW can not find a number

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not putting together, mine are standard, trying to replace one
I have 6 of them, the other 2 had cracked skirts.. I replaced them 40 years ago with a brand new set of standard bore ones but kept the originals. They were from a 63,000 mile engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine are like this, and are recessed,--TRW can not find a number
I have 6 of them, the other 2 had cracked skirts.. I replaced them 40 years ago with a brand new set of standard bore ones but kept the originals. They were from a 63,000 mile engine.
Have a picture?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts