460 Ford Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
thank you, I appreciate the constructive criticism. I am still sorting a few things out but that was not on my radar! I will take your suggestion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did it make that much power through the performer intake?

What carb did you end up with?

Can you share the cam spec's?

I have a similar build in 521" at the moment for my 1969 Mustang. (I responded in this thread back in 2009...screen name 69fb)

I was going to do a TKO500 behind mine but bailed on it and went back to C6.

·
Registered
91 Posts
today I put the engine and the trans in the car
I currently have a C6 trans that I was planning to install with my build, but I’m thinking I might change for a TKO, can you provide model number and vendor of your trans if you this info available?

Thank you, Clint

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Did it make that much power through the performer intake?

What carb did you end up with?

Can you share the cam spec's?

I have a similar build in 521" at the moment for my 1969 Mustang. (I responded in this thread back in 2009...screen name 69fb)

I was going to do a TKO500 behind mine but bailed on it and went back to C6.
Sorry I haven't checked back in a while!
I used a cam that was custom ground from Scotty the mad porter here on this site. He also recommended I use a Torker intake since I would have so much torque anyway. So I used the Holley 850 with a Torker II intake. It made 615hp with that carb, intake, the FPA headers and running the water pump and alt (although the alt wasn't wired up). I was limited on intake manifolds for hood clearance. The Torker II and Performer 460 are both the same height. Cam was degreed and it is 108.9 LSA, .600" lift 242/252 @ .050" duration. I also had Scotty check my timing curve on the distributor (Duraspark II with MSD 6AL box).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I currently have a C6 trans that I was planning to install with my build, but I’m thinking I might change for a TKO, can you provide model number and vendor of your trans if you this info available?

Thank you, Clint
Clint,
The trans is a Tremec TKO 600. I bought it from Modern Drive Line (MDL). They modified the top so it would clear the trans tunnel, although I had to modify the brace in the tunnel anyway. I also got the Cross-member from them as well. In fact I bought almost all my conversion parts all from MDL because they had an article in Mustang Monthly were they actually put the TKO in a 67 with a 460 so I knew they would know exactly what I needed. I did have to change to the Crites Gen II motor mounts so the drive line angle would be correct and so the shifter would come up thru the factory hole (which also needed a little grinding).
The guys at MDL were very helpful even after I bought the parts and had questions. I got quotes from American Drivetrain and Silver Sport Transmission and all three were in the same ball park on prices. I am happy I went with MDL but the others might be just as good.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I hope it helps!
if you have a post of your build, drop a link here. I'd love to check it out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry I haven't checked back in a while!
I used a cam that was custom ground from Scotty the mad porter here on this site. He also recommended I use a Torker intake since I would have so much torque anyway. So I used the Holley 850 with a Torker II intake. It made 615hp with that carb, intake, the FPA headers and running the water pump and alt (although the alt wasn't wired up). I was limited on intake manifolds for hood clearance. The Torker II and Performer 460 are both the same height. Cam was degreed and it is 108.9 LSA, .600" lift 242/252 @ .050" duration. I also had Scotty check my timing curve on the distributor (Duraspark II with MSD 6AL box).
Thanks for posting.

Was the torker II out of the box or modified?

I will have a very similar setup but hoping for a few more horses...my heads will be budget ported and I have more camshaft. Also planning on a torker II intake with a 950hp carb through FPA headers and crites Gen 2 mounts.

How much did it cost you to have the engine dyno'd?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Thanks for posting.

Was the torker II out of the box or modified?

I will have a very similar setup but hoping for a few more horses...my heads will be budget ported and I have more camshaft. Also planning on a torker II intake with a 950hp carb through FPA headers and crites Gen 2 mounts.

How much did it cost you to have the engine dyno'd?
The intake is "out of the box" no porting, just gasket matching. The carb is out of the box too but I had to jet it up. The dyno day cost me $500. I wanted to break in the cam and then change the valve springs. Then I got three pulls before we ran out of time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The intake is "out of the box" no porting, just gasket matching. The carb is out of the box too but I had to jet it up. The dyno day cost me $500. I wanted to break in the cam and then change the valve springs. Then I got three pulls before we ran out of time.

Best $500 a gearhead could spend. :)

Are you heads also out of the box or were they ported some?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Best $500 a gearhead could spend. :)

Are you heads also out of the box or were they ported some?

Thanks for the info!
yes, it was money well spent!
Also the heads are out of the box too, but I did add shims under the valve springs per Scotty's recommendation and again gasket matched the ports.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts